• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 8-12 Questions Regarding Road Legality Modifactions

ToxicPete

M 812 Bridge Truck.jpg

Hello,

My name is Pete and i live up in BC Canada. I have been interested in purchasing a M 812 Bridge truck. There is 4 North of me in

Quesnel, and I am trying to do as much research on the Truck as I can. I found a Military Manual Pdf and it states that approximately

9 and a half feet wide. So my question is basically if I took of the 8 non directional tires and installed 4 super single's would that

reduce the width enough to be road legal? as 8 and a half feet is max. width without a permit. I am a Welder/Contractor and my plan

if I have to is cut the deck down with my acetylene torch. My plans with the truck is to use the flat deck to move my 2 20' Shipping

containers around (one is a shop and the other will be accommodation) for when I have big jobs outta town. not to mention moving

equipment and salvaging.

Thanks in Advance for Your Input

Pete

crasheej

If your talking about the one in the picture looks like it has singles now. How are you going to change the width? the bed is where the over width is at.

ToxicPete

Thanks for reminding me of that I took that pic off the site that is selling the truck, I havent been able to find any front view pics to see how far the bed protrudes

Scarecrow1

I could be wrong but like crasheej said the wheel base is the same on all these trucks when they single them out the wheel base stays the same because the inner wheels are inverted. Only the length is changed for the M927s and such. You should be fine with it just cut the bed down if it's against code. I have to ask if there are 4 just up the road from you how is it he is able to drive and sell them? You may wish to ask him if the info you got is true before you go to all the trouble ahead of you......

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
WILL be STILL be to wide UNLESS you also remove the spacers

pilot

M812 I own an M812 and the widest part is the truck deck. The only wheel spacers are on the front,the wheels are wider for the 14-20 tires so that is where you get the wider rear width. They also have longer wishbones and different width rear axles. I do not remember the rear tire outside to outside width but I could measure it for you. I also got the roll on cargo deck which is hard to find so if you spot one get it. Check my name on our ndmv site and you will see some pics.
Greg Blanchfield Devils Lake, North Dakota gcb@gondtc.com NDMVCA.com

Doug Hanson

sidewall to sidewall will be right at max allowable width with 15.5/80R20 tires. the deck is way to wide, front bumper, side steps and mirrors. I have an M812 from Quesnel that I'm rigging up as a service truck at the moment.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if there are not spacers on the rears then the hubs are wider, the 1400 duels will not fit without major rub problems unless either the spacers or wider hubs are used

Doug Hanson

Sorry thats kind of a crappy picture, only one I had on my phone. I measure exactly 8'6" sidewall to sidewall. Duallies will be over width as well as those bigger super singles I think (53's?). Just tell Mike you want it rigged up with 15.5/80R20's he'll rig ya up. I dont like bud nuts on the rear so I'm going with longer studs and lug nuts. The front spacer is countersunk for bud nuts so they have to stay, but I'm going with longer buds as I think the thread length is a bit on the short side. These are pretty awesome trucks.