• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-813 Axles on a Deuce?

TB58

I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading my axles with the 5 ton Rockwells off of an 813. A few of the advantages I can see from this would be since I am constantly at max gross weight they would give me a bigger buffer on the axles. The brakes would be larger which would be nice with how heavy I am. If I could use the 5 ton springs It would prevent sag. Last, the 5 ton Axles are geared a little higher which would give me about 3 MPH more top end.

I know a lot out there are thinking why not just move the box to a 5 ton. My box won't fit on the 927 chassis, the cab is too tall. I would have to find an 814 in good shape to do the swap. The down side is registering the vehicle in Alaska would require me to get it back to Alaska. The last reason I want to upgrade rather than replace is sentimental, we've been through a lot together.

I haven't yet had a chance to look at the 5-ton axles next to my axles to really check measurements. From what I can tell the frame is the same spacing on both trucks and the assemblies are a similar design and should be able to be made to work.

I would like to swap springs and axles. I would think that worst case I could swap the entire tandem assembly in the rear. Mine is mounted with huge rivets, would same diameter grade 8 bolts be adequate? I would have to swap master cylinders and possibly air packs.

There are a few 813's for sale around me, some are non-running. The non running ones would be better donors than a runner. I would take the axles and any other parts I could use, then part out the rest.

If someone has done or tried this swap I would appreciate any input.

red

You will also need to swap the transfer case. The 5 ton axles are a driver side input, compared to the passenger side input on the deuce.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The drive shaft flanges on the deuce and 5 tons are completely not interchangeable. You will need some expensive drive shaft modifications if you do not have the ability to do it yourself. I am not sure you are changing the front axle also but if you do not there will be a ratio problem. You are biting off a really big chew! There are very many differences. I advise get a 5 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks