• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-817 Dump Charging issue

Larry Weibert

Hi Guys, So My dump isn't charging. LEECE -NEVILLE A001 3002 AE 60 Amp alt. Ill explain what I did and hopefully some one can help out a bit. I started by reading the TM related to the charging system. Test 3 & 4 which is power is present to the wire at the alt with ign switch On and test 4 which is testing at the control box on the firewall. That test lead to the control box being bad. I opened the control box see the pics. Very easy to break the solder joint then drill the two spot welds and she opens up. I tested all components and the silver relay tested bad I believe a contact broke internally so I ordered a new one to repair the control box. A new box looks like $ 400 so the repair looks like $20.
I took the control box off my other 800 series truck installed it and repeated test 4 which showed the control box ok but then lead me to test for continuity from the control box to the output lead of the alt. That tested ok so the chain said something with the alt is bad.
Ok I removed the alt. Pulled the reg off the back ( see the pic ). I tested the many things which all checked out. I then talked to Tom at Southern Automotive Wholesalers Inc he is very knowledgeable. After explaining all I tested internally to the alt he said run jumpers to the brushes and reinstall the alt without the regulator. start the truck and apply 24v to the leads and see what the voltage is and If the idle changes meaning its charging. I obviously unhooked the leads to the terminal block so in this test the comm wasn't shorted together. It worked 28.8 volts so he said probably changing the regulator and I should be all set.
I ordered reg 2920-01-079-9130 which he gave me the number as his company sells there military overstock them on ebay.
Ok so here is my issue. I noticed that the brushes have a two brush holders. One has one brush and the other has two brushes. Its a little hard to see from the pick but the one on the right has a second brush behind the front one. I noticed that every wire labels 1-5 left to right on the terminal block.
The one brush on the left was on term 3 as labled. The other one above it comes from the right back brush and is labeled 3 and on the stud above the other but going to the right hand back brush meaning the two commutators are shorted together I believe.
My shop manager who has 40 years experience in the field thought 3 & 4 on the lower terminals needed to be swapped. I don't want to install the new reg when it comes in and have it wrong. I cant seem to find a TM with a view that shows the placement. All the wires are labeled and placed as stated but I don't see how it could work if you short the commutators together through the brushes. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simple fix is a 33si or similar brushless alternator. They are cheap. This also allows the control box to be removed from the charging system. The alternator is hooked directly to the batteries.

Two 24063 solenoids are all you need to update the box.

Larry Weibert

Thanks Wes for the info. Ill try and find some relays based on your numbers. Hay will a alt from a deuce work I have a few Deuces iam not using but not sure if they interchange with the 5 tons?

Last edited:

Larry Weibert

Ill swap one out tomorrow so I can move dirt and investigate that 33si alt conversion. I thought I saw a post were they have a hole kit for like 160. Just found it but don't know how to link it here for others. It was swamp donkey that posted it.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ill swap one out tomorrow so I can move dirt and investigate that 33si alt conversion. I thought I saw a post were they have a hole kit for like 160. Just found it but don't know how to link it here for others. It was swamp donkey that posted it.
Post #15

There are a few alternators on Ebay for $200.

Larry Weibert

Wes I found out what was wrong with the shorted brush issue. The problem was me.
Good lesson for those reading.
So when I took off the brushes so I could clean up the slip rings. The brush assembly that has the two brushes on the right can be installed 180 degrees flipped over which creates the shorted brush issue. Its easy to do. SEE the pic.
On another note i looked at all my trucks and the M-36 was the only one that had the exact alternator model the 817 dump had so i used that one until my reg comes in so I could see the inside as a comparator. I opened it up to clean and inspect and thats how i figured out my stupidity on the other alternator with the brush issue. Thanks for the help Wes

A special Thanks to Tom at Southern Automotive Wholesalers Inc. I talked to him he suggested a reg as we were speaking on the phone he found one on ebay for $ 80 and told me to buy it as theres was $ 149. I told him maybe ill put an offer in for 80 on toms site as i would rather give him the money if he can do it as he was a great help and id rather support him.
I put in an offer the next day on toms site and they accepted it. That says a lot about them I would recomend them for all your militay alt parts. Tom took the time to walk me through trouble shooting the alt as well. Thanks Tom at Southern Automotive Wholesalers Inc

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks