• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m-818 tractor from nevada to texas

m113mark

Just won an 818 that runs. Trying to decide on shipping or driving home. Anyone have any input on shippers or any other comments will be appreciated Tanks Very Much !!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you drive it home, expect 7-7.5 MPG, unloaded. Bring big earplugs, and a iron butt for the seat. Top speed is 57 MPH, off a cliff with a tailwind. 50 MPH is a better number, I just did 1200 miles in my 814 at 50. You get a longer time to look at stuff. :mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a long drive in the middle of summer with no A/C. No easy way to get from Vegas to Austin except thru the heat.

I drove a Suburban back from Vegas to OKC but it was in the middle of winter.

If your up to the heat, I say drive it. There are plenty of SS members along the route to help out. Just make sure you take a phone and contact numbers.

You can ship some tools ahead of the pickup so they will be on hand.

Also remember that riding in an empty M818 is riding a bronching buck without a saddle. It will beat your kidneys into submission.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put 400 miles on my M818 without a trailer and 400 with. I tried to keep it at just below 2000 RPM, which was about 49-50 MPH. I got 6 2/3 miles per gallon of fuel and that was with a vertical increase of about 2000 feet. If you took it a bit slower and weren't headed uphill, I can see 7 MPG.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just won an 818 that runs. Trying to decide on shipping or driving home. Anyone have any input on shippers or any other comments will be appreciated Tanks Very Much !!
I just did a trip to Nellis in a M35A2 to pickup and tow a m35a2 and it was to bad, but we are hotter now. If you drive at night it would not be to bad.

But I would say if you can find someone, ship it. I would do that this time of year.

m113mark

Lot 8813 Yeah im a contractor that works on military bases in texas oklahoma and louisiana, and im living on fort sam houston in san antonio now but i havent ventured this far yet. This will be a learning curve fo sho. Anyone know of any good shippers ????? And just in case it comes up i won it yesterday and they charged the account today and sent me a demil A paid invoice that means pick it up within 10 days. I know the guys in texas well and today i was told that there have been talks of changing the demil Q to A on certain vehicles. I was hoping to have the time to prepare for this but that may not happen. So maybe the shipping wouldnt be a bad idea ?????? Thanks for the input from all of u !!! worst case i might fly there and put it in a secure storage lot until i can make arrangements ????

m113mark

I will post pics after this is over but after much head seratching and the issue of the truck being demil a and me having to pick it up now or possibly loose the money and the truck i decided to have it shipped. That is another story but i found a really good shipper and the truck was loaded yesterday and is on its way home. Thanks again for the comments and stay tuned :)

OldGoat

Often times, you will come out ahead shipping instead of driving (ok close enough for me anyways) . Most don't count the hotel rooms, true fuel cost, food, time off work. Then you have to rope in someone else into the adventure, unless you fly. Which lately has not been that cheap. This is all assuming you have zero mechanical trouble. Don't get me wrong, if you have the time it can be fun. Keep us posted.

m113mark

Yeah i have always wanted one and i waited until a nice one with a winch came along and the shipping is running almost as much as the truck but i think its worth it not to put the wear and tear on it before i get to service it and get to know it. I have an m109 and an m35a2 that i selected a while back at ft sam where i work and know people but this my first experience out of state.

Truck is arriving saturday and im looking forward to it !!

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will post pics after this is over but after much head seratching and the issue of the truck being demil a and me having to pick it up now or possibly loose the money and the truck i decided to have it shipped. That is another story but i found a really good shipper and the truck was loaded yesterday and is on its way home. Thanks again for the comments and stay tuned :)

Can you list the shipper? always looking for a good shippers.

Last edited:

m113mark

The truck was delivered last sunday. I have been at ft hood working so i havent had time to reply. I was starting to sweat it but after taking advice i found here i just got on u ship and requested quotes after getting a high quote from a gl approved shipper. I ended up accepting a bid from a lady in georgia and boy were they great !! super fast, Great response and they always answered the few calls i made and kept the ball rolling. I didnt even have to pay them until the truck was shipped and i was happy. Wasnt cheap but it was real deal shipping. The driver delivered it on sunday along with someone elses load that i unloaded and loaded after my truck was off with my forklift. The only difficulty about this deal was everyones calls and dealings with the folks from the outfit selling the truck. They sound like they need some time off and stress relief. The shipper was christy of masden trucking 731-689-1050 just tell her mark from bertram texas with the army truck recomended her. Super real folks !! And beware the 20000lb forklift :) Anyone with questions can call me anytime mark 512-844-7056

Attachments

two.fiveM35

That looks great. I've been looking at them for a while also. The Deuce need something a play buddy. How did you get it off the trailer? I see stuff in back of it.

Last edited:

m113mark

I have wanted one for a long time and have been in a few on bases. They are addictive !! I have 2 clean daily driver deuces but this 818 has power steering that is effortless and a real cummins nhc 250 small cam engine that is almost new . Next is an m172 trailer and then we will be cooking with gas. I hope the insurance is as reasonable as the deuces !! Thanks again to all for the input as i consider this recovery a joint effort with all of you helping !!

m113mark

oops To remove the 818 i had to unload the cargo with my forklift then dig a pit with my track loader to back the trailer in to. The 818 cranked right up and i backed it off. The driver told me that no effort was made to start the truck where it came from even though they had a ramp.it was just forklift loaded. BUT they said buyer load so i am really fortunate that they did load the driver even though the forklift is rough on the trucks and you have no way of knowing if the damage is from this load or a prevous one. You would have to supervise yourself and sometimes its just not possible like in this instance.

m113mark

On the class a issue. I have had one since i was 18 and im 51 now. I have had real civialian trucks in the past but inless you are really using one or needing one its not worth the expense and exposure to dot rules. If you register any mv as a FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE in texas you are not succeptable to dot rules. So in the real world if you register your deuce or any mv rated above a deuce as a truck or commercial truck it is definately a dot truck and requires class a cdl and all of the stuff that goes with commercial vehicles. To the best of my knowledge FMV registered trucks can be operated with a standard texas dl and dont even require inspection or insurance. Although i would not consider operating one of mine without insurance !!!! I have had mine for years and have driven them everywhere and i have stencled numbers and no real license plates and have yet to be pulled over or even questioned by police or dps. I do believe that all of us in the hoddy should always be responsable operators of our treasured vehicles because its really easy to own and operate these vehicles if you do it right and i would not want to be the one to screw it up for all of us by doing something wrong with one of my vehicles :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks