• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-920 "Jake Brake"

GAR16

I am hoping someone out there can help. I have a M920, the truck has less than 500 miles on it. I am having trouble with the engine retarder or "Jake Brake". Where or what do I need to check first? Thanks

reb87

As Floridianson said, the micro switch on the Injection pump(it purpose is to allow jake braking only when the throttle is closed). It can get loose and wont work properly unless the switch is positioned so the throttle linkage compresses the switch when your foot is off the throttle pedal. Also it will be intermittent if any of the electrical wires are loose.

GAR16

The problem is there is no voltage anywhere. I'm wondering if there is a wiring diagram somewhere I can access it. Thanks for the replies. Steel Soldiers has always been a huge help in the past.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mine wasn't working, I followed the troubleshooting information in the TM and it led me to what my problem was. My microswitch ("Sensitive switch") was out of adjustment and wasn't getting tripped correctly.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is an auto trans, there should be a switch in the converter lock up port. If that switch is failed, no power to any of the downstream parts. Start there by unplugging the switch and jumping it. The brakes will work without the truck driving. If it's a manual trans, check the clutch switch. Also, maybe start with the CB for that circuit.