• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m 925 winch operation question

rsramey

I have an M925 with winch and when you put trans. in neutral to engage the winch and try to put it back in gear to let the wheels help a little it disengages the winch. Is this normal operation for these vehicles not for the winch and wheels to work at the same time?

74M35A2

My 925A2 was stuck in 4' of mud, and the winch sucked it right out, didn't even need to snatch double the line. This was all in neutral. I was also wondering if the drive wheels can help out, but I forgot to check while doing so, and just did it all in neutral.

Reminder: Don't operate the hydraulic pump over 1800rpm as stated in the manual. I did not know this, and I held the pedal on the floor at about 2300rpm to wind the winch and get out, and now I have a medium size hydro leak at the direction control valve. If you compare the inlet and return hydraulic line sizes, you can see why they want you to limit to RPM (flow). The hydraulic pump can out-flow the control valve and the pressure relief within it.

Also I think you may have your PTO engagement procedure backwards. Trans goes into Drive to engage PTO (pump), then put trans into Neutral to spin the PTO (pump). It is opposite of how you think it should work, because it is an automatic and the gear case contents are all at a standstill when in Drive when not moving.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 925A2 was stuck in 4' of mud, and the winch sucked it right out, didn't even need to snatch double the line. This was all in neutral. I was also wondering if the drive wheels can help out, but I forgot to check while doing so, and just did it all in neutral.

Reminder: Don't operate the hydraulic pump over 1800rpm as stated in the manual. I did not know this, and I held the pedal on the floor at about 2300rpm to wind the winch and get out, and now I have a medium size hydro leak at the direction control valve. If you compare the inlet and return hydraulic line sizes, you can see why they want you to limit to RPM (flow). The hydraulic pump can out-flow the control valve and the pressure relief within it.

Also I think you may have your PTO engagement procedure backwards. Trans goes into Drive to engage PTO (pump), then put trans into Neutral to spin the PTO (pump). It is opposite of how you think it should work, because it is an automatic and the gear case contents are all at a standstill when in Drive when not moving.
Yup, I was there. I don't think it was 4 feet, but it was nasty mud. :)

DSC_0350.jpg

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won't the PTO still spin while the wheels are slipping? If you're stuck and not making progress because you can't get enough traction, you'd still have a spinning PTO right?

Or is it not fast enough to pump an effective amount of fluid?

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if that will work or not. When I was stuck the way out of it was to winch in then put in drive to go forward a little then back to neutral then winch in and repeat.

Attachments

74M35A2

Well Cleatus, those are 48" tires, and it is **** near the top of the intermediate axle tire, so.......

I think the PTO (pump) should spin if the trans is in drive and the truck is driving forward......think, not sure. Will need to get stuck again and confirm, or, lay under the truck and have a friend drive over you while you watch the PTO/pump driveshaft.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
not wanting to steal this trend and i am open to learn all i can learn .. i just bought a 925a2 and will need to read some tms.. i plan on putting on a rewinder.. any problems you guys can see i would have. i will need to rewind the cable up backwards from the way it is now. also with you telling how strong the winch is should i worry about putting in a snatch block on the truck?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The -10 has a bit about NOT having the trans in gear when using the self-recovery winch, sometimes a change (809 to 939) is NOT a upgrade.

monkster

One hint. While in D and tring to engage the PTO and won,t go in gear, let the truck roll a little and the lever drops in gear. I have wondered if this was a short comimg, not leting the wheels help the winch. Sounds like its not. I also like the 1800 rpm and below, missed that in the manuel.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One hint. While in D and tring to engage the PTO and won,t go in gear, let the truck roll a little and the lever drops in gear. I have wondered if this was a short comimg, not leting the wheels help the winch. Sounds like its not. I also like the 1800 rpm and below, missed that in the manuel.
Um, if you're stuck enough to need the winch and the driveline, you're probably too stuck to let it roll a little....

Being able to use the driveline and the winch together is a powerful argument in favor of the warn winch for self recovery. (And duty cycle is a big argument against it)

Last edited:

Gunzy

not wanting to steal this trend and i am open to learn all i can learn .. i just bought a 925a2 and will need to read some tms.. i plan on putting on a rewinder.. any problems you guys can see i would have. i will need to rewind the cable up backwards from the way it is now. also with you telling how strong the winch is should i worry about putting in a snatch block on the truck?
I would have to see a pic of the way your cable is currently wrapped on you winch to be sure, but if the winch is spooled backwards it will reel up the cable but NOT pull any torque. I know as mine was backwards and couldn't pull a small tree out of the ground and after rewinding it the correct way it can drag a 12K lbs F350 wrecker backwards while in park with the E brake on. We had to respool Mtnsnow's winch and just picked up an M925A2 that will need to be respooled as it is also backwards. Got to love newbie privates in the motor pools.

M2Guy

It has been my experience that as a general rule of thumb most applications involving a pto and hydraulic pump, have the pto gear ratio/pump flow output for whatever is being driven, with an engine rpm in the 1,500 to 1,800 rpm range so that's good advise for most hydraulic systems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks