• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-gator battery and color question

Ras1

I just picked up my first m gator.

The sherrif painted over the military plastic with John Deere green which has been peeling off as it was sitting in the weeds for ten years.

Are the shiny trail green body panels found on eBay correct? I would have thought they would be flat...

Is the original paint for the steel parts john deere trail green? Any better source for quart size than john deere? I prefer to use my spray gun over a spray can.

They stole my bed and put on a civilian bed with manual dump.

Did all military mgators use hydraulic dump? Any pictures out there of where it installs, wiring and switches?

They hacked in a large external battery box which I will be removing, the original 2 battery trays look to still be there. Need help with a pic for battery wiring and size. From what I understand it is 12 volt in parallel?

Any pointers on a cheap original bed and hydraulic system would be helpful. Also looking for rifle mount.

Anyone have pics of the original winch mounting?

Thanks
Dave

Madmedic

Here is a very good picture of an EARLY U.S.M.C. M-Gator, probably a prototype, with winch. I will check and see if I have a decent picture of the Winch on ours.id_mgator_700_05.jpg

mdainsd

The body panels are gloss when new.

John Deere trail green is a perfect match for the steel parts.

I have a couple of M-gators around here, I will try and get some pictures of the bed lift which is electric, as mentioned. The switch is the upper left one on the dash board.

Unfortunately, nothing is cheap when it comes to M-gators. Look back a few months in the classified ads here. There is a member I bought a bunch of little stuff from who had a bed for sale. I will try and find his screen name. That electric lift in nearly 900 dollars by its self!

Yes, 2 12V batteries in parallel.

I bet you can get the rifle holder for JD direct, I have bought some of the military only parts from my dealer.

Madmedic

Here's some picts of the batteries and lifting Mechanism. JD is your only source for the paint. It's proprietary and patented by them.IMG_1425.jpgIMG_1426.jpgIMG_1427.jpgIMG_1428.jpgIMG_1429.jpg

Madmedic

And here's a pict of our Army Field M-Gator, with the Warn Winch on the front. Keep in mind some M-Gators were set up for the winch, and some weren't. Those that were, have a socket in the glove box on the passenger's side. Our Garrison M-Gator was NOT set up for a winch.
IMG_1232.jpg

Ras1

Thanks for the great pics and explanation.

I contacted many john deere dealers. Same response. Spray cans only.

I may have it color matched. Not sure yet.

Dave

Ras1

Well, I broke down and bought the spray cans!

I saw them in person, and was happy to see that they stated "photo chemically reactive", hence this isn't just a crap paint, it is a single stage paint that cross-links with UV light...

My goal will to be release all the propellant, open the cans, and put in my spray gun for a clean finish.

Will let you know how it ends up...

Dave

Madmedic

Keep us updated. Will be interested to see how that project with the paint works out. We just went ahead and used in the rattle can. Not really disappointed with the result. The paint has a thicker consistency than regular rattle can paint. Holds up to abuse better as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks