• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M10 tank out of control over a bank

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking the guy on the back is lucky he wasn't killed. Once he was down it would have been awfully easy to get thrown over the side and under a track.

L1A1

There was a strange mechanical grinding noise like the driver missed a gear while shifting. That happened just before the M10 went over the bank. Did the vehicle flip? I saw the guy on the back deck of the vehicle rolling around. Hope he wasn't hurt too badly.

Matt

zxmedic

The brakes where not adjusted ,and the driver tried to put it into reverse .I'll post the recovery soon .

jdmcm

Not actually an M10 at all but a replica cobbled together from scrap steel and suspension salvaged from a forestry yarder...why they used that 3 piece front end with old single anchor brakes is beyond me. Incorrect for any M10 replica. The drivetrain is a cobbled together system including a single 6-71 Detroit joined to a truck transmission placed in reverse and then running to the actual sherman transmission attached to the differential. Once they had built it they discovered the drivetrain was running in reverse and that they had 5 reverse gears and one forward gear. Instead of swapping the timing gears in the 6-71 and reversing the engine rotation they added the truck transmission running in reverse, bit of a dogs breakfast and I am sure a contributing factor to the crash, that and 0 experience, testing and training...could you imagine if this was at a parade or public event? That being said the construction is a very impressive job considering it is 100 percent scratch built including turret, hull, gun and mantlet...it took took two heavy wreckers hours to winch it out of the ravine...but no serious injuries thankfully.

Last edited:

Hummermark

Hi you beat me to it was going to ask why a 3 piece front end and what engine is in it. The prop turns the opposite way to the engines with the twin pack 6046 and they are left hand turn engines so getting a normal turn engine woul be easy and not to bad on price .putting engine direct to prop would be ok but not as good on top speed as the twin set transfer out put is faster the crank shaft speed . I wouldn't have thought with one 6-71 engine it would be able to pull more than third gear, but I guess if all you want to do is shunt it around then it'd be okay.

What have they done for a clutch? But like you say, if it's made out of a load of bits no matter how slow it goes it's still a running/driving M10 (ish) :) better than the pieces just sitting doing nothing!

L1A1

Just an observation about the M10 & not the accident. While the mechanicals described seemed Rube Goldberg inspired, the outward appearance looked good (passed the 10' rule). I forgot (remembered after reading it here) that the M10/M10A1 only used the one piece differential housing. Seeing the three piece diff. on that M10 (& thinking it was a real one) I would have thought that the original (one piece) unit broke and was replaced (motorpool?) with one that was laying around regardless of configuration. Like others have said, glad no one was (seriously) hurt or killed
Matt

jdmcm

The fact it was built from scratch is absolutely amazing, workmanship fabbing the turret and mantlet are second to none, some of the upper hull is a bit patchwork as sheets of steel seem to have been fit together here and there, I am guessing to use what material was already on hand. It is a very impressive thing to be sure. As we have no real M10's in Canada there is little to compare it to, but having stood with several real M10's in Europe this summer it would not fair as well in a side by side comparison. It is just a real shame the owner(s) has been in the local paper and even on T.V. touting it as a restoration of a real M10 found in an Alberta scrap yard...Be proud of what you have accomplished...no need to try to deceive everyone into thinking it is something it is not

The King Machine

I've heard of this guy, he's been building that tank for sometime. Was into Jeeps and trucks, then decided to try his hand at tanks. Also heard he has been scavenging parts from all over the place, a small fortune invested.
Really is a shame to see it back fire like that, not nice ruining something you have worked so hard on.

That being said if the above posts are true about the drive line being scabbed together, then that's a tough lesson to learn for anyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks