• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1000 Trailer

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great!
Truck almost looks too small against that beast.

Are the ramps getting reinstalled?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread kicks @$$!

Amazing documentation from start to finish.

Never thought I would like red. I seem to remember being taught in school "better dead than red"...LOL.

Red looks great here though, and most certainly safer because easy to see this Goliath moving down the road.

Really cool.

Thanks for letting this amateur with a M1101 see how it is done by the big boys.

T

P.S. - Almost looks ready for one of those 3 rear axle Canadian tree hauler cabs for a 150K transformer.

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the ramps getting reinstalled?
I've still got them, and all you have to do is install to pins to put them back on, but the vast majority of stuff we haul will be loaded/unloaded with a crane. I'm not going to put them back on unless we need them. As it sets right now, I can load it on our lowboy and haul it to the job if needed, if I have the ramps on it, it will be overheight on the lowboy.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Now were going to need a video showing how the wheels turn while your driving down the road! Nice work on the trailer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now were going to need a video showing how the wheels turn while your driving down the road! Nice work on the trailer.
When I was out there taking those pictures, Dad was trying to get me to video it in a turn, but it was fixing to rain and I didn't get around to it. It takes some training to pull the thing. You figure out real quick that if you take a turn like a normal tractor/trailer you'll wind out running to back end of the trailer into the ditch on the far side.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M16ty I do have to give you some congrats you busted your butt getting this trailer into beautiful looking shape and I have been reading your posts since #1 great write up extremely informative and very interesting! The last HUGE congrats is getting to use it for exactly what it was built for, hauling OMG forsakes amounts of weight, do we see a 1070 HET in your future???
Great job and thanks for posting all your progress, it can be kind of a pain when you have so much work to do but trust it was highly appreciated!!!!
Karl

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very nice seeing the M1000 out Flexing its BackBone! The Pride you must Feel after the Job is completed. That is only the First transformer shipped. Now that they see the operation and capability more Heavy Hauling to come.

Congrats m16ty!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M16ty I do have to give you some congrats you busted your butt getting this trailer into beautiful looking shape and I have been reading your posts since #1 great write up extremely informative and very interesting! The last HUGE congrats is getting to use it for exactly what it was built for, hauling OMG forsakes amounts of weight, do we see a 1070 HET in your future???
Great job and thanks for posting all your progress, it can be kind of a pain when you have so much work to do but trust it was highly appreciated!!!!
Karl
No plans for a M1070, that old Mack didn’t even know there was a load back there.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Love seeing retired military equipment getting a new life.

I saw dozens of these trailers at Red River Army Depot just rotting away, waiting for scrapper death.
It was very sad.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know why the one pic is upside down. I tried to fix it but didn't have any luck.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pic!
The guys standing next to the trailer really provide scale and show just how big that thing is.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great pic!
The guys standing next to the trailer really provide scale and show just how big that thing is.
He's actually adjusting the level. When moving something that heavy and that tall, you really have to watch your trailer level, when traveling over uneven terrain. There is actually a framing level laying on the deck, and he is watching it and adjusting accordingly. For the military uses, they just get everything level before they head out, and put the trailer hyd into the "run" position. You can't really do that with most of the loads we haul. YouTube is littered with hyd platform trailers turned over, because the operator failed to keep a high center of gravity load level. Once you get to a certain point of out-of-level, you overload the axles on the low side of the trailer. At that point, about all you can do is sit back and watch, because it is coming over.

I've been looking at installing a wireless remote to control the trailer valves. That way the trailer operator doesn't have to walk right beside it to control the trailer. He can also stand back and see more of what is going on.

That's probably more info than you asked for, but I guess I like talking about this stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks