• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 37"tires

CamoCUCV

So when I bought my M1008 it already had HMMWV tires on it 37"
I thought the suspension was all stock but it doesn't seem like it could be from reading the threads I've been reading.
Obviously I would guess it has spacers on the front just by looking at the hubs compared to other CUCV's.
How many leaves are on the front and rear stock? And my front leaf springs are nearly flat is that normal. I want it to sit more level.

Attachments

Last edited:

CamoCUCV

M1008 suspension

I thought the suspension was all stock but it doesn't seem like it could be from reading the threads I've been reading.
Obviously I would guess it has spacers on the front just by looking at the hubs compared to other CUCV's.
How many leaves are on the front and rear stock? And my front leaf springs are nearly flat is that normal? I want it to sit more level. Can't tell from the pic but front is definitely lower.

Attachments

Last edited:

86m1028

Some better side pics would help.
Frt & rear has spacers on it for sure.
Pics of frt springs also would help.
Stock frt springs should be about level.
2-3 spring leaves stock up frt.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many leaves are on the front and rear stock? And my front leaf springs are nearly flat is that normal? I want it to sit more level. Can't tell from the pic but front is definitely lower.
Front springs will look flat or even a reverse arch.
They are designed that way. Normal

The rear is also designed to sit a little higher.
That way when it's loaded it will level out and not squat
No clue on spacers as I run stock rims/tires

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what the reason is, other than possibly encouragement from the suspension lift companies, but I've been able to run 33-inch tires on wide wheels (9.75") even on 2WD GMs of the era. Put 35s on my M1009 with only very minor cutting of the rear of the front fender lips. Later put very wide 36-inch tires on it and had to cut a bit more, and in front of the tire, too, but it was still practically unnoticeable. In other words, don't believe everything you read.

Also, assuming that the suspension is engineered to actually move, unless the bump stops are lowered accordingly there is no advantage whatsoever to adding a lift kit in order to run larger tires. The tire will occupy a certain amount of space when the suspension is compressed, and it doesn't matter if the tire started from two inches below that point or if it came from six inches farther down.

Sure looks like you have lift blocks in the rear, though, and we can only hope that there isn't a set in the front, too (hard to tell in the photo).
If the front does have lift blocks, please remove them ASAP. And if the rear ones are tapered "to restore drive shaft angles", you may want to either remove them or mill them flat.

Edit: With the new photos available, yes, springs front and blocks rear. But the front springs sure look interesting. Looks like someone put a partial spring pack off of something and put that under the factory springs. Never seen anything like it, but it has to be better than blocks in the front.
I don't think that cutting fenders will ever be an issue with that front setup as it must have a very high spring rate.

Last edited:
You have lift springs in the front and a lift block in the rear.maybe the front springs are original with added leaves. It looks like its pieced together.

Last edited:

CamoCUCV

Not sure what the reason is, other than possibly encouragement from the suspension lift companies, but I've been able to run 33-inch tires on wide wheels (9.75") even on 2WD GMs of the era. Put 35s on my M1009 with only very minor cutting of the rear of the front fender lips. Later put very wide 36-inch tires on it and had to cut a bit more, and in front of the tire, too, but it was still practically unnoticeable. In other words, don't believe everything you read.

Also, assuming that the suspension is engineered to actually move, unless the bump stops are lowered accordingly there is no advantage whatsoever to adding a lift kit in order to run larger tires. The tire will occupy a certain amount of space when the suspension is compressed, and it doesn't matter if the tire started from two inches below that point or if it came from six inches farther down.

Sure looks like you have lift blocks in the rear, though, and we can only hope that there isn't a set in the front, too (hard to tell in the photo).
If the front does have lift blocks, please remove them ASAP. And if the rear ones are tapered "to restore drive shaft angles", you may want to either remove them or mill them flat.

Edit: With the new photos available, yes, springs front and blocks rear. But the front springs sure look interesting. Looks like someone put a partial spring pack off of something and put that under the factory springs. Never seen anything like it, but it has to be better than blocks in the front.
I don't think that cutting fenders will ever be an issue with that front setup as it must have a very high spring rate.
Thanks that's helpful. Everyone loves the tires on it now but for me personally I like wide look. Thinking about putting 36x15.5 on it. My hunting property is a lot of mud and swamp. I should be able to fit them.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't say for sure but I believe 3 leaves in the front and 9 or 10 in the back. Mine is an M1028 with 3 in the front (I think that's the same between models) and 10 in the back (probably more then an M1008 for the increased capacity).

junglecat

I stacked leaves on the front of my M1008 to clear 37's and then eventually I bought a 3" lift kit from Skyjacker. It rides much better with the new springs compared to how it was with the originals with extra leaves. It doesn't have the death wobble any longer either. Looks like you have a great looking truck there.
Mine gets used and abused...it's a great truck to have around though.

Skinny

The rear looks like just a 4"ish block. Pretty standard fare if you are not into a shackle flip.

The front looks pretty mickey mouse. I agree, someone added almost an entire leaf pack to the factory one. For the price of front lift springs, I would spend the coin and put some 4" lift springs up front and color it done. As long as the spring pack has 1 centering pin, it probably is safe but definitely on the edge of redneck. I wouldn't run it like that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks