• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 6.2-flywheel to crankshaft to balancer

dom1986ck30

I have wondered if the grinding sound below my floor shifter, 4wheel drive, was related to my wobbly balancer. I have thought that my crank may be shot. There is no oil spilling whatsoever. I put a new flywheel about 4 thousand miles ago. New balancer about 3 thousand miles ago. Could the flywheel have effected the balancer or vice versa? Would the crank be wasted? I will pull inspection plate, but ****... Also, flywheel related to starter and the starter is clicking as well. Any input appreciated. Mahalo...

someoldmoose

I'm with cucvrus. Take the inspection plate off and see if noise goes away. I changed a clutch and dropped it one time years ago. One tiny dent that JUST touched the flywheel under certain loads / speeds. Couldn't see it from the outside but it was nice and shiny inside. If noise is still there, make sure the starter drive is withdrawing completely.

If the balancer is WOBBLING, in ANY manner (radially OR laterally - front to back) replace it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Also make sure the M10 bolts are tight on the converter and flex plate. They are single use bolts with lock tight built into the threads. They need to be all 6 in place and tight. Same as the center mount for the flex plate. Good Luck.

someoldmoose

Also make sure the M10 bolts are tight on the converter and flex plate. They are single use bolts with lock tight built into the threads. They need to be all 6 in place and tight. Same as the center mount for the flex plate. Good Luck.
Yes, if the truck is auto trans and the converter to flexplate bolts are not properly tight it will KNOCK in neutral or under certain light loads. I just remembered this happening with my Suburban. I too thought the main bearings were going. You were saying flywheel, and "grinding" so I was thinking manual trans. The inspection plate check is still valid for either situation.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Yes, if the truck is auto trans and the converter to flexplate bolts are not properly tight it will KNOCK in neutral or under certain light loads. I just remembered this happening with my Suburban.
Oh I remember that knocking sound well! I was on a trip and had them come loose and it messed up the threads so I couldn't tighten them! What to do? I'm stuck out of town and really couldn't afford to buy and pay for parts and labor so the good ole boy that owned a roadside shop let me use his MIG welder for a bit :). Just snugged the bolts up and tacked the heads in place to keep them tight. That "temporary" repair lasted for years and that TC is still bolted/welded to the flex plate and mounted on the engine, though it's not being used. Ya do what you have to.

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And make sure the bolts holding the flexplate to torque converter are not too long. I had one with a couple of longer bolts mixed in (the cover bolts maybe?) and the ends bottomed out on the torque converter without the heads tightening against the flexplate. The flexplate wobbled...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk