• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 6.2L fuel pump removal/conversion to elect fuel pump

mbavers

I removed my leaking fuel pump and covered the hole in the block. Installed electric pump and everything runs fine. I remember reading about a pin or rod that connects the oil pump cam to the old mechanical pump. I did not find this when I removed the old pump. Will it do any harm if it is still in there?

85CUCVtom

I'm pretty sure your referring to the fuel pump push rod.
Did you stick your finger up in the block and feel around for it?

They usually fall right out.

mbavers

I'm pretty sure your referring to the fuel pump push rod.
Did you stick your finger up in the block and feel around for it?

They usually fall right out.
I put my finger down the hole, not up. I thought the pushrod pushed up. If it pushes down from the top them I assume it won't have any pressure on it without the pump arm there, so it should not be a problem. Am I wrong?

85CUCVtom

I can not say with 100% certainty that it won't cause damage if left in. I simply don't know. Never tried it.

I can say the rod points up towards the cam shaft. I don't have a photo of a 6.2L diesel but I found this one on Google of another motor. It's about the same.

If it was my truck, I'd get it out if it's still in there.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452920577.911514.jpg

Hasdrubal

With the engine vibration, I imagine the rod will fall down into the recess and get jammed against the bottom of the mount plate. That's what has always happened to mine when changing lift pumps, without the engine running. That's why we use grease on the rod to hold it up in the hole while doing a lift pump Re&Re.

mbavers

With the engine vibration, I imagine the rod will fall down into the recess and get jammed against the bottom of the mount plate. That's what has always happened to mine when changing lift pumps, without the engine running. That's why we use grease on the rod to hold it up in the hole while doing a lift pump Re&Re.
Then the rod should remain under no pressure or danger of doing any damage, so I'll just leave it there. It's been running for awhile like this.

tmike

Tip#1: I just finished installing the cover plate over the fuel pump location. As it turned out my bolts were too long. I had to add 3 washers.
Tip #2: If you lift yourself up with a chain hoist and hang like a bat --- I found that it makes life much easier while changing/removing the pump.

cpf240

Wow, this was a long time ago. I found it pretty easy to remove and block over the old pump from the ground, but hanging like a bat sounds like so much fun I just might do it again!
No, tmike's post was today, and I'd like to see him hanging upside down from a chain host working on his CUCV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks