• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Air Cleaner Intake

Jackal1actual

I just finished my DIY air intake for Sarge. It was 2in PVC piping, some window screen, zip ties, electrical tape and Krylon. Not expensive at all to make, and not too difficult.
IMG_2336.jpgIMG_2337.jpgIMG_2339.jpgIMG_2340.jpgIMG_2341.jpgIMG_2342.jpg

The last picture is the porthole I punched out next to the radiator. I had to angle the inner tube upwards slightly to avoid hitting the alternator fan, and the screens keep the debris out obviously :)

paladin1176

I am working on something like that for mine and I got a question which I do not see if you addressed. Since I drive mine at all times I am concerned about driving in the rain and having it get sucked in the tube and through to the filter. I have seen two different ways of addressing this. 1- using the old muffler style air/water separator and silencer between the air filter and the inlet. 2- placing a cover over the inlet, basically something that looks like it has blinds set at 45 degrees to push the water to the outside. With as hard as mine sucks I would hate for it to drink water and bend rods. But I gotta say that your setup is a **** of a lot nicer than the dryer tube I was looking at before!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the goal?

Jackal1actual

Without the tube, it was just an opening drawing hot air from the engine compartment into the air cleaner. I figured two tubes drawing cooler air into the air cleaner would improve performance. However, I am new to all of this, so if I'm wrong, let me know! This is my first project vehicle, and my first MV. I'm kinda learning as I go...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you need "colder" air?

I would think the added restriction would inhibit performance even more, compared to slightly cooler air increasing performance(not enough to ever notice)

Jackal1actual

Why do you need "colder" air?

I would think the added restriction would inhibit performance even more, compared to slightly cooler air increasing performance(not enough to ever notice)
I dont see how it is restricting airflow. Instead of one 3" opening, it's now two 2" openings.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going into 1, 2" pipe.

donalloy1

What is the goal?
doghead, would think that drawing clean air from front of vehicle vs. engine bay would help pack breath as long as you do not restrict path? Might not be very noticeable but could help volumetric efficiency a little. Thoughts... Would quiet her down a little too.

Keith_J

The one benefit of a properly designed cool air intake would be silencing some of the intake noise. This is greatest around 55 MPH in the 4.56:1 geared trucks.

Yes, cool air helps performance because charge density but not so much on basis of temperature differential (Carnot efficiency).

Skinny

Fair enough :)

You can extend your pain and anguish into other projects restin comfortably knowing that the air cleaner snorkel is going to work...

goldneagle

BTW the pipe you used was ABS not PVC. PVC pipe comes in white (plumbing) and grey (electrical). ABS pipe (plumbing) comes in black. Totally different glue used to attach sections. (unless you use multipurpose glue) ABS is easier to use because there is no primer needed.