• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Artic Kit, removal

bshupe

I am considering the purchase of a M1008 out of AK and it has the arctic kit on it. Where I live, I have no use for all of that and would be all the happier to not have the extra systems and complexity on the truck.

Would it be foolish to try and dismantle the Arctic Kit from the truck?

Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed mine so I could work on the engine. It makes it difficult to service the injectors or glow plugs with the system in place. Make sure you properly cap off the fuel feed lines. I did not and had air being drawn into the fuel system resulting in all kinds of hard starting and erratic running. I will reinstall the system one day.

M1031CMT

It is just the fuel fired heater for the cab, or is the deluxe kit with the battery warmers and the input for the swingfire heater?

bshupe

Ouch.... it is terribly early in my career here to have this pop up already.

I am currently working on getting photos of it. The truck belongs to a friend of a friend and I need to shorten that supply chain a link before I think I will find any reliable communications.

bshupe

is there a canvas front on it...?

id be interested in an original......thanks

What I have been told is that it is a rig that came out of storage and is complete, as delivered new with sub 10k miles on it.

I will gladly be selling any of the parts I take off and will post it here.

bshupe

It is just the fuel fired heater for the cab, or is the deluxe kit with the battery warmers and the input for the swingfire heater?

I dont think the owner knows enough about the one he has much less the breed in general so the information I have gotten so far is limited but promising.

blackhueys

If you need the install manual for the heaters to help you uninstall let me know as I have it. Removal should be way easy compared to install lol. If you decide to keep it and it still runs dont run it on diesel the newer low sulfer crap will burn up your heaters wicks. I converted to kero and they work way better. I used the jerry can in the back of my m1009 in the stock location and the ran a new line along the frame and up to the fuel pump for the heaters. If you need any parts send me a pm as I have quite a selection of arctic heater parts.

Last edited:

boondock

I think keeping the vehicle intact with the heaters makes good sense as they are uncommon & unique & may preserve/enhance resale value, as has been mentioned.
The heaters do fill up the engine compartment & do make things 'tight'' when it comes time for wrenching.

Stan Leschert

If it were up to me, I would actually keep it.

It is easier to sell stuff than it is to buy and re-install later on.

In this part of the continent, the kit won't get used often,
but the one time that you want it ...

you'll really want it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks