• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 - Auxilary fuel tanks

bshupe

If I were you, I would add a factory auxiliary tank on the passenger side, then a factory rear mount 25 gallon tank (LMC Truck part # 32-5943) where the spare tire goes. That way you would have 65 gallon capacity and still be able to use the bed. I'm thinking that in a SHTF situation, you are gonna want all the hauling capacity you can get, but that's just me thinking out loud, what do I know. Look at the stats on the fuel tank safety. Of the millions of these type trucks built, I would say only a very small percentage were ruptured. If it were that big of a problem, GM would not have put them there for almost 20 years. Besides, most likely diesel will not ignite like gasoline will in a spark situation. Just my humble opinion.
Yea, Im not really worried about burning up in a side impact just the loss of fuel and getting stranded.

I like the idea of adding the spare tank on the other side and perhaps in the back as well it just adds a lot of plumbing and wiring . If I were to go this route I think the rock sliders would address my primary safety concerns.

rickf

I was working on the same idea premise and recently purchased a 75 gal 939 series fuel tank for the bed to increase milage and to store wmo blends for the long haul. There will undoubtably be many sitting vehicles with diesel and oil /trans fluid all over the place. My idea is to have a mobile filtering station in one of my trailers. If one were to have a 75 gal, 2 stock, and 1 suburban ( mounted in spare tire well) tanks. I believe you could travel up to 1500 miles without refueling. Of course you will be a major target when all other vehicles are kaput
I get a kick out of the bug-out theory's that abound on here. Everyone always seems to forget that there will be hundreds of thousands of other people out there desperate for food and fuel. I seriously doubt there will be any standing fuel laying around not to mention the thousands of people fighting over what is there. You gonna shoot them all? You would have to be set up to pump from underground storage but the same scenario keeps popping up, the other desperate people waiting for someone with that capability to show up. I can assure you it would get ugly fast. Where I live I am surrounded by major cities, Washington DC, and military bases. I can be pretty sure I would be close enough to ground zero that I will not have to worry about it.

Rick

bshupe

Are you concerned with what is legal? Those tanks are not legal as a main tank. Gravity feeding your stock tank is probably not legal either(check your state laws).

An extra 100 gallons of fuel along with the stock tank, weighs in at about 1/2 a ton. If you need to add a water tank, your going to be limited to about 120 gal tank for that.

Having a large tank full all the time, will promote algae and fuel issues.

Are you really that worried about getting T-Boned and still being able to drive for 300 miles after that?

Yes, I am quite concerned with it being legal. I want to be able to use the truck daily/weekly for doing work around the house and getting up to the woods now and then (I will be selling my only other 4x4 to fund this project). Where I live there is a lot of farming and so there are also a ton of these tanks in trucks and while it provides a certain level of cover I am also more likely to have a cop checking it out if I were ever stopped. Checking for off-road D in the primary tanks is pretty common around here and a cop with any sense and who was looking for something to harass me about would be able to put 2 n 2 together if there was on-road D in the aux tank. I guess no pump nozzle would be a good indicator as well. lol

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The numbers of firey crashes involving saddles with diesel are all but non existant. Worried about punctures? Add another shield. There are more than a few big trucks running saddles safely. I believe I still have my $100 voucher as well.

bshupe

I get a kick out of the bug-out theory's that abound on here. Everyone always seems to forget that there will be hundreds of thousands of other people out there desperate for food and fuel. I seriously doubt there will be any standing fuel laying around not to mention the thousands of people fighting over what is there. You gonna shoot them all? You would have to be set up to pump from underground storage but the same scenario keeps popping up, the other desperate people waiting for someone with that capability to show up. I can assure you it would get ugly fast. Where I live I am surrounded by major cities, Washington DC, and military bases. I can be pretty sure I would be close enough to ground zero that I will not have to worry about it.

Rick

Our group is confirmed bug-in unless the event is a flood or bio where we would not be able to stay. The absence of fuel is my primary goal for having a larger payload capacity allowing me to make it potentially a year without filling up if thats what it came to. In a SHTF Im not planning to be commuting anywhere so 1200 miles of fuel +/- on board should be sufficient.

As far as it getting real nasty and people getting aggressive over food and fuel etc. I am counting on that happening but I am also counting on being able to hunker down until that part passes in 30-60 days if the event lasts that long. There are so many people completely un-prepared for anything that even something minor could trigger a major problem. The human factor will be the real problem in any kind of disruption of services but at the same time much of the human factor will self correct based on the lack of prep. Again, Im figuring 30-60 days and things will have settled down significantly. The rules for living will be much different but things will have settled down.

TXM1009

Yes staying put is definitely the easiest route to take if the situation permits. Otherwise getting out early hopefully before a bunch of others try to do the same is the best way to go. But every situation will be different depending on what it is. Being in a large urban area I would like to get out if possible if I think it is going to be something that will last more than a week or two.

On the tanks the gravity feed option is definitely the easiest route to go. You buy an adapter that is specific to you vehicles filler hose size. It is spliced in and has a float valve that once the fuel fills up that that point it stops if from running out of the aux tank till the fuel level drops again. My truck has a 26 gal tank and 60 aux and I have gone 1400 miles on it, but that was not towing anything and getting 17-18 mpg. If you check with some of the folks you see with the aux farm tanks, they might be able to tell you about the legalities.

Of course if it is not legal you could just keep the tank a stand alone unit and use a pump or shaker siphon to refill you on board tank with, surely that is legal. I once carried a 55gal drum with about 40 gal of gasoline after a hurricane to power the generators :cookoo: I know not smart, but we didn't have enough gas cans and we had to drive a long way to find gas stations with power and gas.

unaffiliated

Back in '05 I was traveling a lot with my business (38000 miles in 4 months). A guy told me that transfer tanks were illegal in Massachusetts. I never verified that and I never got pulled over. Not like the tank was hidden. It stuck way up in plain site in the bed of the pickup.

rickf

Our group is confirmed bug-in unless the event is a flood or bio where we would not be able to stay. The absence of fuel is my primary goal for having a larger payload capacity allowing me to make it potentially a year without filling up if thats what it came to. In a SHTF Im not planning to be commuting anywhere so 1200 miles of fuel +/- on board should be sufficient.

As far as it getting real nasty and people getting aggressive over food and fuel etc. I am counting on that happening but I am also counting on being able to hunker down until that part passes in 30-60 days if the event lasts that long. There are so many people completely un-prepared for anything that even something minor could trigger a major problem. The human factor will be the real problem in any kind of disruption of services but at the same time much of the human factor will self correct based on the lack of prep. Again, Im figuring 30-60 days and things will have settled down significantly. The rules for living will be much different but things will have settled down.

Settled down yes, because the strong will survive. Now you will have to deal with the ones who were prepared or were able to survive through skills. I am to old to be a threat to anyone anymore and those are the ones that will perish quickly. In my 20's-30's then I would have been one of the ones to deal with and I honestly don't think you would have had much chance. If I knew where you were then I would get you if I were desperate enough. Sniper trained I could take you out without ever being seen. Just something to add into your preparations and think about. The longer you go into a disaster the more skilled the people you are up against will be because they have the knowledge to survive.

I am not trying to scare you or tell you that your ideas will not work, I just want you to think about the other side of the coin.

Anubis8472

Everything comes down to how much are you willing to invest.

I wouldn't be concerned about the GM lawsuit mentioned. The whole thing was rediculous on it's face. It was more of a political 'lets get big business' thing.

I think the simplest (and likely cheapest) solution would be a second tank on the other side.
Install an electric pump you can switch on and have it transfer to the stock tank when needed.
Fab/install some rock sliders if you're concerned about it's location.

idM1028

The whole "GM Firebomb" thing was complete and total BS. Here's some reading kids:
Chevrolet C/K - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and
Dateline NBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Long story short, NBC aired a special on Dateline with a video showing a GM-made pickup from this era (early 70's to late 80's) with the side-saddle tank bursting into flames during a low speed side impact. However, NBC producers had rigged the truck with some sort of explosive or incendiary device that was remotely triggered. GM analyzed the video and found smoke coming from the truck BEFORE the impact. They promptly filed a lawsuit against NBC. NBC settled that week if not that DAY. GM later offered owners coupons towards the purchase of a new truck due to all the bad press. (Hmm, wonder how much of that money came from the settlement?) And besides, if side mounted diesel tanks really are massive fireballs just waiting to happen, they would've been relocated on every big rig ever made. I would personally do what some folks have already suggested: Find a dual tank set up. If you still want more fuel, you could always set up a remote tank in the bed or on a trailer with a hand pump and gas station style nozzle so you can top off the truck if need be or even other people.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, wikipedias(written by anyone) are fact?

NBC staged the filming, to exploit a fact(for ratings)!

100acre

stay and pray

I wholeheatedly agree with you. Except in an extreme situation, a mass die off may occur. I would guess more like 60 - 90 days before things started to settle down. All of course depending upon the time of the season. Luckily I live at my retreat so I will be waiting out the storm and only use the vehicle for extreme measures or hauling goods. ( I hope )

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your MVs will not stand a chance, when the Mother Ship arrives for us.

rickf

Your MVs will not stand a chance, when the Mother Ship arrives for us.
Yep, The mother ship will take whomever the nukes leave behind.

I live right on Joint base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, I will be toast in the first wave and will not have to worry about any of it.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have read this thread at least 4 times, the OP has changed his mind at least 5 times, hard to give answers when the question keeps CHANGING

2INSANE

Here's what I've got! 60gal fuel tank/Tool box combo. I was going to put in my blazer. But won't fit... Best to get yourself something like this with a external fuel pump and filter activated with a switch inside your cab filling your stock fuel tank.

Sell mine for $500 PM if interested. I live in Utah

Attachments

2INSANE

These 90-100 gal Transfer Tanks are very common and cheap to get. As low as $100 on Craigs list! They are simple. It's like a small gas station in the back of your truck. Either electric or hand crank. I prefer the hand crank pump. The "L" shape allows for a normal in bed tool box or "T" shape tool box on top of it. It's really a matter of YOUR personal needs, space, weight and preference. Hope this ship helps:)

Attachments

bshupe

I have read this thread at least 4 times, the OP has changed his mind at least 5 times, hard to give answers when the question keeps CHANGING
I dont think my primary question has changed at all. What is the best way to pack as much fuel as possible in as simple a way as possible.

Yes, there have been several directions considered and discussed but they all stem from the primary question.

Thanks for reading it so much though, I really appreciate your time!

bshupe

Settled down yes, because the strong will survive. Now you will have to deal with the ones who were prepared or were able to survive through skills. I am to old to be a threat to anyone anymore and those are the ones that will perish quickly. In my 20's-30's then I would have been one of the ones to deal with and I honestly don't think you would have had much chance. If I knew where you were then I would get you if I were desperate enough. Sniper trained I could take you out without ever being seen. Just something to add into your preparations and think about. The longer you go into a disaster the more skilled the people you are up against will be because they have the knowledge to survive.

I am not trying to scare you or tell you that your ideas will not work, I just want you to think about the other side of the coin.
I agree with you to some extent. The studying I have done has led me to the conclusion/theory that there will be those who give it up quick and will be gone, those who get killed for their lack of moral self control, those who will make it through phase one as predators taking what they need from those less able to protect themselves and those who are prepared and capable of protecting themselves either through stealth or strength or both. There will be a time where the last two groups will have to reconcile. In the end, preps will only get you to the finals, the winners are those who will be able to sustain themselves through hard work and careful planning. With any luck the predatory types will be killed or conform to whatever form of civilization blossoms out of the ashes of what you see now.

Please note that I also believe that the probability of the scenario above is extremely low and only makes up for a small percentage of what I think about and/or prepare for. It is in the mix but lightly. The unraveling into lawlessness is a far bigger concern to me. I think it will be a much bigger problem but for a much shorter time.

Just my $.02 though.