• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 ball joints

jsbrewster1

i have looked throughout the site looking for info on ball joints for a 08 but haven't had any luck. my truck has been in the shop for 5 days now and they tell me that they can not find replacement ball joints for the truck, has anyone had this problem or know of where i can get replacements.

dstang97

i have looked throughout the site looking for info on ball joints for a 08 but haven't had any luck. my truck has been in the shop for 5 days now and they tell me that they can not find replacement ball joints for the truck, has anyone had this problem or know of where i can get replacements.
Get a new mechanic!!!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, tell the parts guys, Dana 60

POOR WHITE BOY

Most of the time the king pins donot go bad only the nylon bushing in the top gets cracked/broken. They are only $6 each at the local gm dealer. Good luck explaining that you need a kingpin bushing to somebody at auto zone or advanced auto - they problaly went to school with your mechanic:-d

ssgtwright-usmc

And if you are thinking about doing it yourself, dont forget the Big AZZ alan-wrench that you will need, 7/8 allan.
And dont forget the grease, LOL

mtjbrown

Are you saying the bushing may be all thats bad? I have a fairly bad "death wobble" coming to a quick stop from 55 or so mph, could that be the cause?

Thanks,
Mark

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
it sounds like that thay are not talking axle but tie rod or drag link ends (also called ball joints by some)

ssgtwright-usmc

Bad death wobble you said! Is your truck lifted? Many things can cause the death wobble but I would check the steering gear box to where it meets the frame. See if the holes in the frame for the steering box are still round or are now oval is shape.
This will tell you that your gear box is moving up and down. Kingpins are another reason for the death wobble esp.. with larger tires.
I would call around for shops that deal with oversize trucks if you own one and see if they do free estimates.
The frame is week esp... being lifted or having oversized tires. That is why many people reinforce the frame where the steering box is mounted. Off road design (ORD) sells a kit for that purpose.
I would remove the steering box from the frame, check the mounting points where the bolts would go for cracks or oval shape holes. If you see this you know your box is moving up and down the frame.

mtjbrown

`Hey, truck is not lifted, still had 235/85/16 on it when I bought it. Changed the tires thinking it might have been the old tires. Still have the problem, jacked up the frt and checked the kingpins with a large pry bar under each tire. Could not see any movement to speak of, did notice the spring bushings are in pretty bad shape, I am thinking that might be part of the problem. any opinions welcome!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks