• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 body mount replacement

hey guys, This is my first post, been a member for a few months and have gotten tons of great information about various different upgrades i have done to my 86 m1008, i recently got a 86 m1008 and added a 6inch lift, 37 inch hummer tires, new brake lines, new steering link, sway bar relocation kit, but it seems the truck is a little off to one side , i think this because the tailgate on the right side is higher than the left, and the bumper on the right side is higher than the left and it also just likes a little slanted , i know its an old truck and not everything is going to line up but could this be that maybe the body mounts need replacing? i looked at the 6 under the truck and they do seem pretty firm and 3 have some cracks in the bushings. I think this may be the issue but i could be wrong, so i was planning on buying new bushings has anyone replaced them before and how did it work out? Thanks for any info you guys give!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would first measure from the bumpstop mounts to the axle on all 4 corners and compare notes. If the bed is off too, might not be mounts. Beds are mounted solid. Welcome aboard too!

No not to much noise , I did notice alot of flex though , up and down and stuff but I wasn't sure if that was due to the lift and or it being old lol but the leaf spring bushings look good , have you guys changed the body mounts before and if so is it a huge under taking ? Thanks for your help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Body mounts either go easy or kick your butt. If the bolts come loose, it's easy sailing.

M1008BOV

You don't have any broken leafs? Like said above, there are no body mounts for the bed, just rubber pads between the frame and bed and then bolted down. I'd crawl around under there and look for anything out of whack, take some measurements as also stated. Oh and welcome :beer:

dependable

If a previous owner did a lot of rock crawling, or just pounding around with a load, the frame rivets may have loosened up enough to allow it to flex.

If this is the case, body mounts will not necessarily help. I had one that flexed so much it opened up a seam in the cab floor. Frame could be bent too if it was really abused.

Thanks guys for the great info, I don't think the frame is bent but I'm going to check, there are no cracked leafs, so I think I'm going to change the bushings on the rear leaf springs and mine as well just change the body mounts and make it a day project, the bushings on the rear leaf springs are def hard and cracking so I think I gotta change them , thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the lines of the bed align with lines on the cab? The cab has the rubber bushings and the bed does not. If the lines are in alignment, there is likely another cause.

sweetk30

don't trust body lines 100%

I just parted out a clean southern truck 2wd c-10 and looked good .

removed the cab from the frame and found a 3/4" stack of shims under the left rear cab mount . the mount was bad and the frame was bent also .

so you can hide a lot if you know what to do .