• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 body tech drawings

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All, I am looking for detail drawings of the
M1008 body. In particular, the passenger side
rear bottom corner.
I have a couple of holes within inches of that corner
and I suspect some cancer in the bottom of the corner
starting soon.
I will be patching the holes soon, but before that I
want to take measures against rust eating the bottom out.
The holes are too small to really work in there.
Thanks!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi cucvrus, If you have cab corners, could you possibly take a picture of them from the
inside pointing down to the corner. That's all I really need. I want to be able to stick some tools in to scrape any of the rust away and I would be pretty much doing this blind. I don't want to miss stuff hiding behind a seam joint or some such. This truck is pretty rust free except this one issue and it has to last me for the rest of my life. I'm old but still kicking so if I take care of it I'll be ok.
Thanks!

scottladdy

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the affected area? Some of us are likely to have worked on this area.

cucvrus

I would go under the truck and in the corner of the cab corner on the under side. They put a 1" round metal plug in place. I would remove that plug and wash the corner out really good. i would NOT go scrapping down in there. That is a tight area. And if it is not rusty. I would clean it good with some wax and grease remover DX330 or equivalent. Then I would get some rust proofing and spray the area really good. I use Rus Free and it works very well on all the underside, inner fender aprons, under side of hood, underside of bed. Anywhere you need a good coat of rust proofing/undercoating. It dry and stay free of transfer to the touch.021.jpg020.jpgI thin it and spray it thru a siphon gun. I use the DX330 to thin it and clean it up. it is easy to clean up and drys nice and smooth. Covers clean areas very nicely and looks great.

scottladdy

I would go under the truck and in the corner of the cab corner on the under side. They put a 1" round metal plug in place. I would remove that plug and wash the corner out really good. i would NOT go scrapping down in there. That is a tight area. And if it is not rusty. I would clean it good with some wax and grease remover DX330 or equivalent. Then I would get some rust proofing and spray the area really good. I use Rus Free and it works very well on all the underside, inner fender aprons, under side of hood, underside of bed. Anywhere you need a good coat of rust proofing/undercoating. It dry and stay free of transfer to the touch.View attachment 684967View attachment 684968I thin it and spray it thru a siphon gun. I use the DX330 to thin it and clean it up. it is easy to clean up and drys nice and smooth. Covers clean areas very nicely and looks great.
I can also endorse RUSFRE. Their products work. I have also used the clear and black rust preventative. I do not thin, and use a dedicated rustproofing and undercoating gun.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can anyone recomend an equivalent for DX330 that is available in California?

Also is RUSFRE available in California. It seems to be...
Thanks!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use ACF-50.
Designed for aviation, but works on anything.
It stops corrosion upon contact and will continue protecting for up to two years.
Works great and I used it extensively on my CUCVs. None had any rust and I want them to stay that way.
It seeps and penetrates very well.
I soaked my cab corners to keep them protected. Along with a lot of other hard to reach places.

The mechanics use it on the Helicopters. Stuff works wonders.

I just restored a set of 1950's metal lawn chairs.
Flooded the metal tube frame with ACF-50 to stop the rust.
That was the last thing I used it on.

It's about $16-$19 for an aerosol can depending on where you buy it.
Worth every penny
https://www.amazon.com/Lear-Chemical-ACF50-Anti-Corrosion-Lubricant/dp/B000P1C8UO

Last edited: