• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Brakes Part Numbers

kenz5380

I went down to my local parts store for brakes for my M1008 and they had no idea what brakes to get for me. I told them the VIN, that didn't help, I told them that its a Dana 60 and a Corporate 14 bolt, didn't help, I told them to look it up as a K30, that didn't help.

I don't know what to tell them to just get some new drums, rotors, shoes, pads, etc...
Does anyone know the part numbers or if there is an online vendor that is more knowledgeable?

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have 2 choices in rear shoe width. That's the only variable if you told them an 1984 K30.

Go somewhere else.

Did you search the site? Pretty sure part numbers have been posted before.

And, did you give them the GM part number listed in the -20P TM?

kenz5380

There are a variety of axles and brake options available for the K30 with the largest in their computer being a Dana 44, not a Dana 60. I assume the brakes are not the same for the two different axles?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then, I went to "NAPAONLINE" and found 5 choices when I searched for "shoe"(selected "brakes") after inputing a 1984 Chevy K30.

Only one size shoe listed(in a couple price levels). Same part number as the link above.

Attachments

kenz5380

I did find that one while searching for M1008 Brakes, but unfortunately the brake system has more than just rear shoes. Is there anyone one here who has actually replaced all of the wear parts in their brake system? Maybe even someone who doesn't take a condescending attitude with every question posed?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a variety of axles and brake options available for the K30 with the largest in their computer being a Dana 44, not a Dana 60. I assume the brakes are not the same for the two different axles?
K30's had Dana 60's in the front, 14 Bolts in the rear (Dana 70 if dually).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did find that one while searching for M1008 Brakes, but unfortunately the brake system has more than just rear shoes. Is there anyone one here who has actually replaced all of the wear parts in their brake system? Maybe even someone who doesn't take a condescending attitude with every question posed?
I have! In armed with K-30, out with spring kit, shoes and cylinders. You need a better parts house more than you need numbers. The parts TMs (available free here) have every part number you could need. The answers are at your fingertips Grasshopper!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The info/ part numbers are in the link I posted.

I didn't search and post, for postcount. I posted because it's the info you needed and I knew it was available and correct. (both on SS and on NAPAONLINE)

And Yes, I have done a complete brake job on my M1008A1.

My posts were not condescending. They were simple and factual, with a touch of humor.

One last suggestion, ad your state to your location(it's the rules).

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me you ask this, before posting, did you look up the part numbers in the TM?

Did you search this site?

Did you know about NAPAONLINE, and try using it?

What you need to tell them is, it's a 1984 Chevy K30 single rear wheel truck.

Last edited:

kenz5380

I'm going to go to a different parts house and see what they say. Sounds like that O'rielly just didn't have anyone who knew their stuff.

Thanks for the help.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the other issue is going to a "BIG BOX " parts store and dealing with a counter person who last week was flipping burgers ! I miss the local mom & pop parts store with somebody who looked at your old brake parts and walked over and took them off the shelf without using a computer . Last week I walked into the local Big Box store for 3ft of 5/8 heater hose , the first thing the lad behind the counter asked was , " what is the year and make of the vehicle "? I told him a 1971 M35 , I did offer the vehicle ID # if it would help him . I think he is still staring at the coumper screen .:)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have Orileys around here, but I thought I'd just try their site for fun.

I put in 1984 Chevy K30. Selected brakes, then looked at pads and shoes.

I suppose you did not try their site either.

Sometimes(or all the time) it's best to go get the info yourself, then go to the parts store.

Attachments

Matt65

I went down to my local parts store for brakes for my M1008 and they had no idea what brakes to get for me. I told them the VIN, that didn't help, I told them that its a Dana 60 and a Corporate 14 bolt, didn't help, I told them to look it up as a K30, that didn't help.

I don't know what to tell them to just get some new drums, rotors, shoes, pads, etc...
Does anyone know the part numbers or if there is an online vendor that is more knowledgeable?

Thanks
Some employees at the parts stores are just worthless. I have had the best luck just calling my truck a "1984 K30". Never mentioning the terms that totally confuse them like: CUCV, M1008, military truck, actual vin etc. The last batch of parts I ordered were free shipping from Autozone. I was able to shop from the recliner and get the correct parts minus frustration from the computer jockey at the parts store.

Let us know if the part numbers here work for you. Be sure to bleed the system well, and verify the type of brake fluid. The military used DOT5 which does not mix with 3. Bleeding all the 5 out and running 3 is what I did, made a world of difference with new fluid. As long as my power steering fluid does not get too low (my hydrobooster leaks), the brakes work great.

What problems were you having from your brakes that prompted part replacement?

Last edited:
IM thinkin about convertin my rear brakes to disk becuase i cant see justifing paying $350.00 per drum when u can do the other for a heck of lot less but thats me

P.S I was once a newbe so to all the newbes before ya get your self all in a tift Search the site im really sure if u try hardenough u can find what u are lookin for other wise if u really get frustrated ask doghead he will help u out Doghead is the man hail to the king lol (doghead your an awesome source for info i do know you get tired of answering the same questions over and over lol if u dont have a sense of humor with these old guys u will get your feelings hurt everyone Be patient Help is there :] dont get upset doghead has been that way since i got on Steelsoldiers and he will probably not change hahah he has a sense of humor regardless of what anyone wants to think:]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks