• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Brakes Pull Left

stump

Ill try this for a beer. Jack the truck up and check the front springs. I would think that the left spring is sliding on the axel perch and the spring bolt is not tight in the hole in the perch. The springs could also be weak and the left one is weaker than the left and allowing the axel to move and give you false steer when breaking. Make sure the steering box is tight to the frame and that the frame is not cracked. This can also give a false steer problem. I like cheap beer. natural. Realy I hope this helps.

AFC1

The height-sensing proportioning valve in the rear and the limiting valve on the front crossmember have all been replaced. Only components I have not replaced are the hydroboost unit and the two brake lines coming out of the master cylinder. When I removed the original 4.56 Dana 60 front axle, I had the springs checked and the bushings replaced at a local spring shop. Truck only had 37,000 miles on it, but felt it had been sitting for awhile and wanted to freshen everything up. I feel it is definitely a brake problem as opposed to a suspension issue. The left front wheel gets coated with brake dust much faster than the passenger side. Also, when the truck is pulling left- it will pull to the right while in reverse. Checked the condition of the frame near the steering box when I got it, no cracks. New U-bolts I installed are tight- checked them and also made sure the center pin was not sheared off.
@Freak- you are absolutely hilarious, do not quit your day job, if you have one......

KsM715

Since you have checked everything on the front end I would move to the rear. Something could be causing your left rear to bind/slow or whatever causing the truck to pull left.

AFC1

Problem Solved!

Okay, so I have finally discovered what was causing my M1008 to pull left just before I was about to up the reward to a full keg. Nobody won the case of beer as it turns out. Found out that the left caliper was sticking and it was due to a mechanical problem, not pressure related. Apparently the driver side had a different bridge (the spring-like piece that goes on top of the caliper retaining clip) than the passenger side. Upon further research, they make a special bridge for use on worn calipers and the bridge has a sharper bow to it than the regular stock one. I replaced the calipers with the new hardware and I guess someone threw one of these bridges in there and it was holding the caliper too tight against the mounting bracket, just enough to not let it release fully. A slight tap with a hammer was enough to release it. I replaced the bridge with the appropiate one, lubed the caliper mounting brackets and calipers and no more pull. Like I have a brand new truck! Thanks to all that offered help, I really appreciate it! Can't believe it took so long......

12vctd

next time borrow or if you have a digi thermometer use it to check diff in temps on the brakes, would have shown you that side and caliper was the area to check, now as far as the bridge it wouldn't have given you that info. Glad you found it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks