• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 brakes sprung a leak

Sam27

This is not really CUCV specific, more like basic maintenance, but... I sprung a leak at the driver's rear wheel cylinder at some point recently. I noticed it when the reservoir went empty. It appears to be leaking right at where the steel line goes into the wheel cylinder. Any thoughts on the source of the problem? My first instinct is to just replace the wheel cylinder, but I don't want to waste money and effort if the problem is really just that the hard line itself is rusted. Any advice?

By the way, is the wheel cylinder the same part as for a civilian K30 from the same year (1986)? I've noticed some stuff on CUCV's comes from older model years.

Attachments

Barrman

1984 K30 with the J code 6.2 will get you civilian parts. New wheel cylinders are cheap, get one and if the line looks bad, replace it as well. You might spend $20 total. Pretty cheap for not having to worry about it or mess with it for a number of years. Make sure you adjust your shoes when done with the hydraulics.

OLDCHEV4X4

Judging by the looks of that line, I'll bet the line has sprung a leek.
Bend and flare a new line, and look at the rest of the lines, cause they probley are not far behind from popin a leak too.

Sam27

Thanks for the help. I didn't see the replies because something is up with my E-mail notification... I replaced the cylinder plus the line up to the splitter. Everything was so rusty I had to pull the whole backing plate off and grind the bolts off to remove the old cylinder. I'm grateful I was able to separate the brake line from the splitter.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it might be a good time replace the rest of the steel lines as money permits if one is that rusty the rest will follow . As you replace lines it puts pressure on the old lines weakest spots . So at minimum you want a complete inspection of the lines especially the ones inside the frame rails .It also may be easier with less broken parts now.2cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks