• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Build

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the rear end set up this weekend. Did some more painting and prep for the rear axle. Got most things at least primered and now just need to find a place to turn the brake drums then the rear axle will be ready to go back in!

Attachments

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got the rear end set up this weekend. Did some more painting and prep for the rear axle. Got most things at least premiered and now just need to find a place to turn the brake drums then the rear axle will be ready to go back in!
Not as many people around anymore that turn those giant brake drums where I live.

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some pics of the rear differential pinion seal and the wheel hub seals. Last pic is of the small 1/2” drive extension that I was using to set the pinion pre-load. It didn’t make it. Got her dialed in though, with running torque right at about 10 in-lbs. I’m now down one cheap (apparently) extension, though.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More progress on the rear axle this weekend. Got the brake back plates on, new wheel cylinders installed, brake shoes on, and ceramic painted the drums.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was able to find some plastic pads for the leaf springs here locally. They are not identical, but they are very close. I had to trim them up a bit for clearance. Total for all twelve was $10.18. Way cheaper then the stuff I was finding online.

Attachments

beltfedonly

Dive, I have a set of the wheel spacers that you will need to use the hmmwv wheels. They are the new aluminum spacers with the lug nuts.

$100 plus shipping. White Owl Motors in Kinston NC did have a number of the 6.2 pulled from hmmwvs at one time.

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dive, I have a set of the wheel spacers that you will need to use the hmmwv wheels. They are the new aluminum spacers with the lug nuts.

$100 plus shipping. White Owl Motors in Kinston NC did have a number of the 6.2 pulled from hmmwvs at one time.
I've got a set of spacers already and I'll keep that place in mind if I can't find a motor in the next few months, thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've got a set of spacers already and I'll keep that place in mind if I can't find a motor in the next few months, thanks!
White Owl is "good people".
Not quite as old as dirt, but they have been in the business for a long time. Lots of knowledge and willing to share. Especially on older green hardware...

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture of the brakes appears that the wheel cylinder has no contact with the brake shoes. Are they there in place? I can't see them in the picture. Just asking. View attachment 862877
That’s a good eye! I was still working there…lots of parts missing still.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the brakes finalized today. Realized that someone had installed the passenger side shoes with the thick one in the front contrary to the tech manual so I had to swap the shoes around. Spent hours cleaning these drums up with a wire wheel at 15000 RPM…they came out really good. I’ll be forgoing the endless search for a place that can turn the drums since they cleaned up so good.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the drums baked today for the ceramic paint and got them installed temporarily to check things out. Just need to clean up the parking brake cables and mock it up to figure out the shock mounts.

Attachments

DIVE DIVE

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the parking brake cables cleaned up and installed, adjusted the pads, and mounted some tires to get the axle sitting back on the ground. Unfortunately the shock mount plan I had isn’t going to work out how I wanted so I’m going to finish up the paint prep and finish painting the axle without shock mounts and figure that out later. Just need to install the axles, but I’ll do that once it’s painted and under the truck since it’s easier to roll around without them installed.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks