• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Bumper tow rating

dkydfireman

Anybody here know how to tell the tow rating for the rear step bumper on a m1008 or any step bumper for that matter?

Not looking for the pintle hitch tow rating I know where to find that in the TM's. Plus it sits to high for most trailers I would be towing if I put the combo ball/pintle set up in the stock mount location.

I'm doing some research for different trailer hitch options. I have a class 5 to install but it looks like it will require some modifications to work with the lifting shackle mounts. And the spare tire doesn't look like it will fit between the mount plates for the hitch.

I also have a bolt on/weld on reciever mount for the bottom of the bumper.

LMC has chrome step bumpers for sale that are rated at 8000lbs. I'd have no problem bolting and welding on the bumper style reciever if the military versions are rated for the same.
Or would the LMC versions be that much heavier?

They look heavy enough to handle some weight but I would feel safer trusting it if someone could point out some specs with weight ratings for them.
Thanks

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you need to research if you plan on attaching a bolt on undermount hitch to the flat part of a step bumper is how much tongue weight it will handle . Most I have seen mounted like that without bracing end up pointing at the ground. 2cents

dkydfireman

The heavy duty version from LMC is listed at 800lbs tongue weight. I think the general rule is the tongue weight is 10 to 15% of the tow rating.
I'd ideally like to have the frame mount class 5 reciever but I don't want to lose the lift shackle brackets that are right in the way of course and the ability to use the spare tire mount.

idM1028

I know from experience the bumpers will handle a good bit of weight. I once towed a Bronco with a dead engine probably a mile plus back home. All I used was a logging chain wrapped around his axle tube and secured to the holes on my bumper (not the recovery shackles) Not sure how he was braking the truck with the dead engine and all, but I got some pretty good jerks on the chain and the bumper. Absolutely no damage to either.

dkydfireman

I was hoping someone on here would know the weight ratings. I have a friend who has a 86 3/4 ton chev with the step bumper and the 1008s bumper looks like a heavier built unit. He tows a tandem axle trailer loaded with a skidsteer all the time with a ball mounted in his and no trouble yet lol.