• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Cargo Cover install

ABN173

Not 100% finished but close, I still need some adjustments but its pretty close. I ordered the cover from Saturn Surplus, used scrap angle iron, 3/16" eye bolts (substitute for the old twist toggle), and electrical conduit for the bows.

-Dale

Attachments

ABN173

The bottom of the cover used to be secured by these little twist toggles, you can find the original parts but they are pricey, I decided on 3/16" eye bolts, pre tightened w/ lock washer, then give them a final 1/4 turn to lock in the cover

998Junkie

The bottom of the cover used to be secured by these little twist toggles, you can find the original parts but they are pricey, I decided on 3/16" eye bolts, pre tightened w/ lock washer, then give them a final 1/4 turn to lock in the cover
Can you point me to a source for the original parts? I haven't been able to find any that match the threaded backing? Pretty cool work and good idea with the eye bolts. You can run safety wire or other rope to keep the cover from flopping around.

ABN173

Just look for CUCV Cargo Cover, or M1008 Cargo cover on ebay. Or look up Saturnsurplus seller name, it's there. It was only like $129 including shipping. Shoot me PM if you need the actual link.

-Dale

*edit: It occurred to me to run some 550 cord through the eyelets but I really don't think it is needed. I started with one side first then then moved to the other side. Once I had the cover secured I tightened the eyelets a 1/4 turn to "lock" the cover in as you would with the original twist toggles. I also used lock washers so they should hold. Anyway once the cover had the two sides secured I raised the bows to make it tight and secured them at their base.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pretty cool Sir. I like the idea of a rigid bow vs the factory ones that required all the straps.

ABN173

Nice. The set up seems to be like you plan on keeping the cover on...if so I'm wondering if you are thinking of a vinyl paint?
Actually I designed the bows to be removable, the eye bolts just twist like the old toggles did. The only permanent portion is the angle iron. I needed the cover for my upcoming PCS move from FT Lewis,WA to FT Bragg, NC, beyond that I have not thought of painting the cover. I might do so at some point though.

xenocath

searching.............
Any chance you can post a picture of how the bows and the stake pockets interact and what if any adjustment can be made with your set up? i have created a set up for my truck that is similar using an old trampoline frame, just curious how you have done yours.

ABN173

Any chance you can post a picture of how the bows and the stake pockets interact and what if any adjustment can be made with your set up? i have created a set up for my truck that is similar using an old trampoline frame, just curious how you have done yours.
They were posted already but here they are again with a explanation too. I ran the angle iron over the stake pockets, then had to drill the holes for the bows(series of smaller holes then dremmel tooled out). The hose clamps is what sets the height of bow.

-Dale

Attachments

xenocath

searching.............
so the hose clamp sets the height, i was afraid of that. i tried using that also and i found they have a tendency to loosen and drop the top causing sag which flaps like crazy and rips out your cover fastners. this was just my experience it may work better for you but something to keep an eye on in any event. once i get another top i will probably use a collar and set screw arrangement instead or maybe cross pin it somehow.

ABN173

so the hose clamp sets the height, i was afraid of that. i tried using that also and i found they have a tendency to loosen and drop the top causing sag which flaps like crazy and rips out your cover fastners. this was just my experience it may work better for you but something to keep an eye on in any event. once i get another top i will probably use a collar and set screw arrangement instead or maybe cross pin it somehow.
Another option is to hammer a wooden dowel rod into each end of the conduit, drill a hole all the way through and use a pin to secure it. For now I used the hose clamp, I still have another full day's work to the cover as I have to mount/secure the front and back of the cover.

-Dale

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks