• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 charging issues

cooterfrmhazzard

after a week of research thru treads and going over the tm's i am stumpped and dont know what else to do. i have two brand new batteries, ps alt has been rebuilt, belts are tight, fusible links have been checked. when i start the truck, the needle on gage will not come into the green area, it sits right on the line between green and yellow. i checked both alts when running to see that the ds is putting out btw 12-14 and the ps putting out btw 24-26, i dont know what else to do, beggining to get frustrating seeing as this is my daily driver and plow truck, any response/help would be greatly appreciated.

notsosanestan

do both of the gen lights come on when you first turn the key? my gen 1 light was loose and it wont charge unless its working mine was doing the same thing sitting between the yellow and green but now wont start after its warmed up

hobie237

Have you experienced any other symptoms and/or performed any diagnostics beyond what the stock gauge says? Added resistance in that circuit from years of crud formation could easily show an improper reading. Just get a voltmeter and check it at the batteries with the truck running and you'll know whether you have a problem or whether you're just throwing parts at the truck.

scottodog

Check the voltage on the drivers side alt meter ground to truck ground meter positive to power stud it should be around 14 volts then check the pass side meter ground to the positive stud on the alt located closest to the center of the engine (wire from the drivers side alt 12 volt) and the meter positive to the stud on the alt further out with the large and small wire going to it(24 volt stud). Doing the test this way will give you how much voltage this alt is putting out it should be also 14 doing it this way. This will give you correct running voltage from both alts.

Last edited:

burbn10

My M1008 does the same thing with the volt meter until the glow plug controller switches off. It sits in the yellow a while then it climbs into the middle of the green once the relay disengages.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks