• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 correct offset to order for hummer whls?

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey Guys, :D
I ordered 4 hummer 12 bolt wheels from USA6X6.com with a recenter of 3"...The owner said most are ordered with that offset. which offset puts more tire under the truck?
I think i can use 2". because other people here on the form have said you can use a 2" spacer. are they talking about the same offset? Anyone ever measured the offset. I would like to keep most of the Military 36 X 12.5 X 16.5 Goodyear Hummer tires under the Truck. I have a week or so before my rims are made. I also asked for the solid centers instead of the lazer cut patterns. Im trying to keep it military looking..Anyone use them for rims? What about the balancing beads they sell to balance the large tires, instead of weights.?..Sorry for all the questions. oyes, the rims cost 185 ea....the spacers are 140 each! I plan on useing a 2" lift..or cut the fenders a tad..
Thanks in advance for your time..
Cevon (Kevin) in Maryland..

kingsley

i had good success with my wheels from 6x6 for my M1009. The offset was 3.5". I just painted and mounted the tires this weekend and used the balancing beads. I will trim the front fenders a tad. Once this is complete, I can check out how the beads work.

will advise.

rizzo

i just got some hummer wheels. any idea what the dimensions on the plastic pipe insert for beadloacks are?

any one ever think of using dually hubs or spacers?

CCATLETT1984

I have the rims on my truck without any recentering, to compensate for this i run a 2" dually spacer on each side of the front axle. You will not need any spacers if you are having the rims recentered. I run a set of metal beadlock inserts on my truck. I got them for $55 each, a guy on pirate4x4 makes them. I'll have to get his screen name and post it later.

You can run dually hubs in the front and not have to recenter or run spacers.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I can take some more pictures of my setup for you if needed.

Rizzo, I will see you on Saturday!!!!! :D

AJMBLAZER

I think the backspacing is 4" for the stock 16" wheels. It's close to that anyways.
3" like you ordered will push the wheels/tires out of the fenderwells one inch compared to the stock wheels. The wheels being wider will also make the tires stick out further.

The larger the backspacing the further under the truck the tire/wheel will go. The less backspacing the further outside of the fenders they will go. Relatively speaking.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: M1008 correct offset to order for hummer whls?

AJMBLAZER said:
I think the backspacing is 4" for the stock 16" wheels. It's close to that anyways.
3" like you ordered will push the wheels/tires out of the fenderwells one inch compared to the stock wheels. The wheels being wider will also make the tires stick out further.

The larger the backspacing the further under the truck the tire/wheel will go. The less backspacing the further outside of the fenders they will go. Relatively speaking.
the 3" re-center means that the rims would have an offset of roughly 4" (7" reuglar offset for humvee rims minus the 3" change)

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: M1008 correct offset to order for hummer whls?

Sounds like I need to change from a 3" to a 3.5".....Is this correct KINGSLEY?..
Do your tires rub the frame/fenders on hard right and left turns? What lift did you use?..2" ..etc..?
I want to get this right the first time..Do the m1009 frames and fenders have different clearences?
I thought they were basicly the same animals..
Thanks!
Cevon...

CCATLETT1984

your backspacing should be just fine, get the tires mounted up on the rims and try it out, the only place that you will have to look for rubbing is the part of the knuckle that has the tie-rod mounting holes. I have not recentered my rims at all and only run a 2" spacer so its equiv. to having a 2" recenter and I have ~1" of clearance from the rim to the knuckles.

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks@,
I called 6x6 and changed my order to 5" BS. I also talked to another Cucv owner over the phone and he runs 2" spacers with no problem.
The stock Hummer wheel is 7" BS..-2" = 5" BS..!...I will take some pics when done...
Cevon..

gt1009

I am toying with puting humvee tires on my m1009. Do I have to get the humvee rims, or can I just put the tires right on my stock cucv rims. If I do need the new rims, can anyone provide me with links to the place to buy spacers or whatever you use to make them fit.
Thanks,

AJMBLAZER

HMMWV tires fit 16.5" wheels. Your M1009 should have 15" wheels. Obviously they won't fit. You'll need to either have some HMMWV wheels recentered to fit your 6x5.5" lug pattern (which would be a good time to have the backspacing changed) or buy some aftermarket 16.5" wheels with that already have the 6x5.5" pattern.

CCATLETT1984

AJMBLAZER said:
HMMWV tires fit 16.5" wheels. Your M1009 should have 15" wheels. Obviously they won't fit. You'll need to either have some HMMWV wheels recentered to fit your 6x5.5" lug pattern (which would be a good time to have the backspacing changed) or buy some aftermarket 16.5" wheels with that already have the 6x5.5" pattern.
I had always assumed that all the cucv's ran 16" rims.

BKinzey

I'm fairly certain the M1009 runs 15" rims. The HMMWV tires are 16.5. I don't believe GM made a 16.5 rim with a 6 bolt pattern.

HMMWV tires are in a 36" bias ply or a 37" radial. Those are a very tall tire to run on the stock GM Corporate 10 bolt 1/2 ton axles. I would suggest upgrading to 3/4 ton axles before running that large of a tire. That upgrade would include 8 lugs which conforms to the HMMWV rim lug pattern.

Re-centered HMMWV rims are available with a 6 lug pattern but I don't think the expense of re-centered rims and staying with 6 lug axles is worth it.

AJMBLAZER

All M1009's came with 15" steel wheels. No K5, civie or CUCV came with anything else from the factory.

I agree with BKinzey, upgrade axles before you go to a tire that big. I should have mentioned that earlier.