• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 cucv frame length VS suburban frame

acetomatoco

ya all can find that in the manuals...easier than I can remember...or just take your tape measure to the local shopping mall...in DC

Adamlee

frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

I went back to some of my bowtie sites, and it looks like the c/k long wheelbase p/u's are 131.5 inches and the subs are 129.5 inches.

Wondered if anyone's dropped a sub body onto an M1008/M1028/M1031 frame.

Adam

acetomatoco

RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

I really doubt that year for year the folks at GM made PU and SUB with WB only 2 inches diff.. My engineering mind would preclude that from happening in my company

mangus580

RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

Actually, that is the difference in length. The issue is, the 'humps' in the frames are totally different. A suburban frame is relatively flat I think, where the pickup frame has more up's and downs. (maybe the other way around). While it may be possible, it may not be really practical.

What is the goal behind using a 1008 frame for a suburban?

Adamlee

Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

mangus580 said:
What is the goal behind using a 1008 frame for a suburban?
Thanks for asking, Mike!

1. many sub bodies with rear barn doors....love them barn doors....built with dual a/c
2. M1008's all have Dana 60 fronts, Corp 14-bolt Detroit Locker rears...and dual exhaust
3. why not meld the two?

Would seem doable....after all, Jeff helped me do something like this with a Scout II so why not?

It's more of a theoretical exercise than practical... :roll:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

Add your axles and whatever you need to the Burb. Swapping bodies would be a headache from hades.

CCATLETT1984

Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

Recovry4x4 said:
Add your axles and whatever you need to the Burb. Swapping bodies would be a headache from hades.
X2

Swap your axles under the burb, a body swap is a mojor PITA!!!!
Ans besides that its much easier to roll an axle under a frame than to pick up a body and put it on a frame :)

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

This is exactly why I asked...

I have removed a body from a blazer, and one from a suburban before... NEVER again... There really isnt a safe way of getting a suburban body off without damaging it in some way shape or form.

Roll the axles under and have a much easier time with it!

AJMBLAZER

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

Ditto..........

Granted I could just go measure mine but isn't that length for a crew cab or something?
Suburbrans just seem so much longer than my truck...at least to me...

superburban

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and suburban

AJMBLAZER said:
Suburbrans just seem so much longer than my truck...at least to me...
The extra length is in the departure angle. There is another 5 inches in length behind the rear wheels than on the trucks.

BigJay

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and subur

Mike: tell me about pulling the body from the Suburban? What exactly made it so difficult? I was thinking about pulling my very rusted body from my suburban and then putting on a 3+3 cab and fabbing up a short little flatbed for the rear. Granted I've never pulled a body before, but I've been looking at it for a few months and it seemed doable.

And Adam: Find an older 3/4 ton suburban and a dana 60. My '78 has a 14 bolt FF, plenty heavy frame, turbo 400, 400ci small block, engine oil cooler, etc etc. It's had dual exhaust on it since I got it, but I dunno if that was stock or not. I DO NOT have barn doors, wish I did, but as I said above, I think I may take this body off anyway. Also has an NP203 which I plan on getting a doubler and an NP205, which is sweet cause the 203 range box on a 205 is the same dimensions as the stock 203. The 203/205 on 4:10s and 40" tires gives you super low crawl ratio and you can still run it on the highway. Currently I have 35"s and an open dana44 up front, and it hasn't broken yet. I deffinitely WANT a 60, but it might be a while.

A friend of mine has a '89 3/4 ton suburban and it isn't nearly as heavy duty as mine is.

-Jay

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: frame dimensions M1008 and s

BigJay said:
Mike: tell me about pulling the body from the Suburban? What exactly made it so difficult? I was thinking about pulling my very rusted body from my suburban and then putting on a 3+3 cab and fabbing up a short little flatbed for the rear. Granted I've never pulled a body before, but I've been looking at it for a few months and it seemed doable.
Removing a body you dont care about is easy.... The issue arises when you remove a body you want to keep ;-)

The suburban body I removed got rolled off the side of the frame with a Farmall H... it went down the road on a roll-off on its roof :)