• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 door window issues

Cucvnut

So on my M1008's drover side door i need new weather stripping around the window. has anyone erver re placed there's ? Is it hard to do ? The reason i ask is because my truck does not have any and its annoying to drive because of the noise that comes with no weather stripping.

Also my window regulator is messed up it wont roll up the correctly and has caused my window's glass to fall of the mount. is this easy to replace ? does anyone know if a new regulator comes with the rubber/stickey stuff that the window sits in to hold it in place

Thanks

Matt

Crash_AF

The regulator is probably fine, it just needs to be cleaned/lubed unless it's actually missing parts. The problem is the missing weatherstripping letting the window move around too much. Unless you mean the glass fell out of the metal mount where the regulator's wheels run.

I haven't replaced the channel weatherstripping in a CUCV, but when I did my 1979 Bronco, it wasn't too bad of a job. Hardest part is working inside the door.

Later,
Joe

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did mine 3 or 4 years ago. You need to get all the little pieces and the different types of special tape. I did the vent window as well. It is not too bad but it takes a little patience and attention to detail. There is also a little tool for the window crank you need to get. Just a little sheet metal type tool but a real bi**h of you don't have it.
That's all I remember.
good luck,
Bruce

Pikesrider

My door glass rusted and rotted out of the channel and I was having the same problem you are. I went to the salvage yard and just ended up getting the channel and glass as it all came out in one piece. It cost $20 plus while I was in there I took the regulator and rubber around the window (extra $15) since it was in better shape then the one in my door.
To install the door glass I found it was easier to remove the quarter glass to get the channel and glass onto the rollers on the regulator. This took some time and figuring out. Just be careful not to scratch the glass against the bare metal inside your door. Took about an hour to disassemble, lube, and re-assemble.

rlwm211

You may be able to use adhesive to reattach the window to the regulator track. The weatherstrip simply presses into the channel of the door where the window rides and is super easy to install. It literally pushes in and snaps into place. If you cannot reattach the glass to the track you can go to a U-Pullit yard and get the window and probably the weatherstripping on the cheap.
If you are pulling a window from the door the vent window assembly which includes the front track for the glass must be removed first. There is a bolt on the outside of the door right above the pillar of the vent window and then one or two bolts in the door probably behind some trim that hold the bottom of the front channel in place.
If you are pulling a window from a door, you would pull the outside weatherstripping which is done by starting the strip out at the top and then continuing pulling the strip out until you are pulling it out of the door alongside of the back edge of the glass. If you want, I can get pictures from a door I have apart tomorrow.

RL

Cucvnut

That would be great to get the pictures of the door. it seems like i need some sort of tape or rubber to hold the door in the glass where do i get that ? As for the weather stripping i would be happy with just the parts that the window tracks up and down in.

2deuce

I took glass out of one door and installed it in another without removing the vent window in either. I just moved it around until it went in. There is one spot where it worked for me, with the glass fairly high up. Once you get the door panels off you can see how it all works. It might be easier with the vent glass out, I don't know. To get the door handle off push in on the plastic panel so you have alittle room to get a screw driver in there and push out the u shaped wire clip. It pops out easy, go in from the side with a wide blade screw driver. Be aware that clip can fly sometimes. To put it back on just put the clip in the handle and it will snap on when you slide the handle onto the splines. There are clips that hold the top of door panel to the door. These things can stick. After everything else is off look up in there and push up on the one closest to the lock button with a screw driver and the rest will usually follow. Alittle lube up there might help too. Good luck.
Greg
Greg

Pikesrider

I was able to get the glass and channel out without removing the vent window, but after 20 minutes of trying to get it just right getting in I gave up and removed the vent glass and then slid the door glass right in no problem or hassle. Vent glass was easy to remove and put back.

rlwm211

Here are some pictures of the gasket and vent window assembly. The vent window is so easy to remove. As you can see the outer window gasket/track just pushes into place and the one on the vent window towards the main window snaps in as well.
The clip in the dfoor that holds the handle for the window crank is called a "jesus clip" because it is a pain in the you know what to get to release. There is a tool available that makes the task easier and it is about ten bucks.
I believe the window with the track has simply come off the rollers on the regulator and once you get some room in the door to move the window around you can easily get the glass panel back on the tracks. Once the woindow is on the track, lower it all the way, then install the outer track/gasket and then the vent window assembly. The outer gasket that seals the window against the door is shown in the last photo. If you are ever going to change it, now is the time, when you have the other gaskets and window out of the way.
If you need any more pictures or more information, hollar and I am sure you will be helped.

RL

Attachments

Last edited:

allrevup

The entire door is pretty easy to take apart and reassemble, the one exception is the two piece vent window seal, is a PITA to do,
after you remove (drill out) the rivet you can replace it with a small fine tread screw, graphite washers and a locking nut.

Is also a Good time to clean debris from the inside of the door with a vacuum, and rinse out to prevent or slow down corrosion cover with WD40 and lubricate everything with lithium grease, Also check the door hinge bushings, ones again there are two types of bushing replacements sets.
I can not remember which one I used.

Cucvnut

I just want to fix the window at some point the truck will see the Rubicon and I am sure the doors will get destroyed then or on another run but untill then just want the window to roll up

GreenDoc

I know your intent is just to repair what you have, but I'd check Craigslist "Auto Parts" section for Chevy truck doors.
I wanted to replace the rubbers, felts & weatherstripping on my old CUCV & after seeing the prices for all the replaceable rubber parts, :shock: I thought of checking out used parts. I ended up finding a great set of Doors from a loaded Silverado, with Power windows, Power locks, Door Speakers, & nice door panels for $60.00.
I put in new pins & Springs & wired em up. The civillian parts were much nicer than my truck (for obvious reasons). I ended up better than new, with PW, PDL, nice door panels, & new speakers!....all for about the price of a set of door seals!....:roll:Yeeah I had to paint them too, but I was gonna do that anyway.

I just looked on my PDX C-list & there are a couple ads with truck doors....Bet it's the same where you are....

Just a thought. Happy Trails either way.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The instructions with drawings are in Section 10-8 of the -20 manual.

Removing the vent window first will same alot of headache. Been there, done that.

skark_burmer

who needs windows? This aint some Acura or Lexus.
Heck, i can fit my fingers between the door and roof when the door is fully closed.
(might have something to do with that tree i hit...)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks