• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 Doors Hard To Close

allenhillview

Replaced weather rubber on doors windows ,vent windows,vents in kick panels,all went well but time consuming. My doors are now hard to shut , wife , son always forget the extra force it takes then they slam shut moving mirrors after a few days.Is there a fix or is it just Chevy doors? Thats what I hear from people, friends who think thats the way it came from new, I disagree! I don't always remember slamming doors growing up....:driver: on friends...Dads Chevy's! Sure I can leave window down then roll up as I get out . Open kick panel vents, but I'm just asking? Was the cab that tight on a 1008?

Last edited:
My 1009 does the same thing. The seals are brand new, and they are big and puffy. My doors are aligned right. They don't move up and down or anything. And once I slam the doors they are tightly latched.

I don't have any striker bushings. I might have to try some new ones.

allenhillview

Thanks for reply, I thought I was going crazy for just a minute. My best half doesn't like it when I talk back. Telling her to not slam the door.

Last edited:

biggestc69

My passenger door is tight. After someone gets in and out I have to have them adjust my mirror because it gets knocked around from getting the door to latch.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to replace your door striker bushings. Look at the striker bolts, are you missing the plastic sleeve?

PM me if you need them. I have a few.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62383-m1009-door-adjustment.html
OMG this thread was the best referenced above from Doghead, :-D I ran to home depot and bought a piece of PEX and cut it in the store I was so excited. Ran to the parking lot and installed and WOW, nice smooth closing doors, no more slamming, they fit tight. This information needs to be in the sticky!

I rode home and the the whole M1009 was running better, amazing how a little item can help so much. I had the M1009 with me and the boy scouts this weekend while we were camping and I was embarrased when everyone had the slam the doors. I had spent a few hours over the past few months adjusting and readjusting and was ready to pull the fenders.

And by the way get the 3/4 " PEX not the 1/2 inch. I originally purchased the 1/2 and then ran back and got the 3/4". You could actually use 1"

:driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

iluvbudwsr

Can you add a photo of the stricker bolt because im not familiar with them at all. Im having the same problem on the drivers side and as someone else said 'Im having to slam the door so hard that I have to readjust the mirror after getting the door shut' As soon as I know what size I need and maybe someone can add some photos of replacement im going to home depot and doing this ASAP! trust me, I know how irritating you guys feel. especially slamming the door at 10:00pm at night 3 or 4 times before the things closes. Good thread here....keep it going please with some pics and part numbers.:driver:

iluvbudwsr

So which part am I after? I sprayed some "white Lithium Grease" in my striker the other day and it didnt do a think. It worked on my screen door hinges on my house pretty good though...LOL
Check links above for pictures.

Step 1: Go to NAPA, ask for a striker bushing on a 84 K30;
Step 2: Sorry, Sir, we just have the bolt and bushing;
Step 3: How much is it?;
Step 4: $14;
Step 5: I'll take 2.

All you need is a torx bit, and you'll be pulling off robberies on how quiet your doors close.

Well, you're going to have to come up with a lot more to do over the weekend, because it only takes 2 minutes.

As a tip, take a marker and trace around your current striker bolt before removal. Makes your calibration time moving it a hair up or down a lot quicker. And reach around and hold the back so it doesn't fall.

Like I said, you couldn't finish a cup of coffee faster.

soule64

You might want to check your hinge bushings, also. If they are worn, the door will sag a little and the door will smack the striker if it is in the original position.

Also, since it is cold, the weatherstrip won't conform to the door as easy as it would if it is warmer, making the doors hard to shut. I always move the striker outboard a little and then readjust a few days later.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks