• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 electrical problems

Fuse

Had a reese hitch brake box and 6 pin trailer plug put on my 1008. Installer said drivers rear brake and turned were very dim after install. Upon getting vehicle home..I turned on head lights and when I hit the brakes I heard a pop under the dash.....NO LIGHTS of any kind at this time.....part of the fuse box has power, part doesnt. I can find any fuseable links blown....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you paid for the installation, take it back and ask them to fix it! It sounds like they did not get the controller power(brake output, supply) from an adequate location(directly from the front battery).

You should find a schematic in the -20 , TM 9-2320-289-20

Fuse

that part was done correctly.....Could it have been the wire to the brake switch???got the schematic...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, any chance you can post some pics or describe better, where the wires are connected? Colors of the wires and model of brake controller? Have you made any progress yet? Blown fuses or fuse-links?

Fuse

installer owner of welding shop, had installed many many hitches and brake boxes on Chevy"s....he stated he hooked the trailer harness into the normal chevy wiring harness located at the drivers side rear bedside. he stated after installation drivers side rear brake light and turn signal was not working...test light showed dim....as compared to passinger side, bright. He couldnt advise any further....After my lights blew< I took it back...he stated he unhooked and rehooked evrything to make sure there were no shorts...Still he couldnt explain loss of all lights...Brake box power was hooked to front battery....and remaining wire hooked to brake light switch.....I heard a pop under the dash....If there is a fuseable link there I cant find it.....Could it have something to do with the ignition switch....I called a national guard mechanic..he said it was a new one on him...still waiting for his return call...???????? almost at the end of a short rope

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you should take your fuse panel off the firewall and look at the back side of it. Your sure there are no blown fuses? Did you check for voltage on both sides of the fuses(installed)? I think I remember there is a 30 amp fuse on the right side(maybe the 3rd one down) that supplys the headlights? When you say you heard a pop, was it up under the dash or down below the dash(did it come from the headlight switch)? Other than headlights, does everything else still work? Have you checked all of the fusable-links under the hood?

Fuse

everything still works but the lights....all fusable links, under the hood have been checked and are ok.....you mentioned head light switch.....I'll check that next...

CCATLETT1984

grab the "unit maint. manual" from the troubleshooting thread at the top of the forum. Appendix E is the wiring schematics. Get a multi-meter and start testing for voltage at different points along the light wiring.

One thing to check are the switches for the blackout lights. be sure it is in the "service light" position. That switch may have died (unlikely though) you can pull the harness off the back of it and jump two of the pins with a short piece of wire to see if it is the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks