• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 front differential

mbavers

I've got a stock 1984 M1008 that I use solely for snow plowing. I plow with the transfer case in low 4wd. On a few occasions I have spun all four tires at the same time when pushing a heavy load on packed snow. I use V-bar chains on all four wheels. Is there some locking or limited slip feature on the front differential (I wouldn't think so), or is it because the chains prevent individual wheel spin? I'm certain of the four wheels spinning by observing the four tire grooves left in the packed snow surface.

nyoffroad

I had a 1008 that had a limited slip of some kind in the front and the Detroit locker in the rear, made for a great plow truck! Not sure if they all had the same set up, someone will come along soon and let us know.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got a stock 1984 M1008 that I use solely for snow plowing. I plow with the transfer case in low 4wd. On a few occasions I have spun all four tires at the same time when pushing a heavy load on packed snow. I use V-bar chains on all four wheels. Is there some locking or limited slip feature on the front differential (I wouldn't think so), or is it because the chains prevent individual wheel spin? I'm certain of the four wheels spinning by observing the four tire grooves left in the packed snow surface.
maybe you have a 1028?? I think they had the govlock in the front? Probably to cold to play with it now but popping off the diff cover would tell you...if not you could have worn spider gears that aren't spinning like they should and making both tires get power.

mbavers

I had a 1008 that had a limited slip of some kind in the front and the Detroit locker in the rear, made for a great plow truck! Not sure if they all had the same set up, someone will come along soon and let us know.
Did you assume the limited slip in the front by observation or did you assume it the same way I did, because of the way it acted?

mbavers

maybe you have a 1028?? I think they had the govlock in the front? Probably to cold to play with it now but popping off the diff cover would tell you...if not you could have worn spider gears that aren't spinning like they should and making both tires get power.
All I know is it's a 1984. I think the 1028 came out later?? Turns seem normal, so I don't think bad gears.

nyoffroad

Did you assume the limited slip in the front by observation or did you assume it the same way I did, because of the way it acted?
No, I had the cover off to change the fluid, I didn't even notice it till my son said "WOW look at that", I bought the truck from a guy in NJ that got them from Gov. auction and turned around and sold them. No idea how it got there or who put it there. But like the time I slid down a hill backwards on ice and ended up in a deep ditch filled with snow, I put it in low range and tromped on it, guaranteed to go somewhere either forward, backward or straight down! I was glad I had it.

LT67

Then someone prior either swapped in a Dana 60 from a m1028 or had a limited slip installed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks