• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Frontend starting to sag

biggestc69

My M1008 frontend is starting to sag. It always sat lower in the front than in the back. The front springs have a slight negative arch which, from what I have read, is normal. Last month I installed a heavy bumper and a MileMarker 12000 lb hydraulic winch. I run 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB tires and have never had an issure with rubbing until now. I think all the extra weight up front is starting to take its toll. Is there a "leveling kit" or some heavier duty front springs to compensate for this? Any help would be appreciated.

jdeoliveira74

maybe you should look at a 1" sping lift kit might give you what you need and level off your truck. worse case its back to normal

Last edited:

biggestc69

Thats kinda what I was thinking jdeoliveira74. I was looking at Off Road Desings zero rate add a leafs. Anybody used them? You will have to forgive me I'm pretty ignorant in the ways of the suspensions.

dependable

I know you can buy a spring pack with an extra leaf or two. They are often added for plowing. You may also be able to add in an extra leaf to existing springs. Any spring shop should be able to help you.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or go to a local truck spring shop.

Anubis8472

New springs are always the best way to go.
But you could also look in coil over shocks.
I think Gabriel makes a set.
They are supposed to add 500lbs of load cap/restore ride hight.

No idea what they run, but would certainly be a quick/easy install.
I had a set years ago on the rear of a truck and loved them.
Not a big difference mind you, but they were head and shoulders above the air shocks that tended to leak.
Might be a good short term option.

V8Astro

I just went thru a front spring debacle. One spring is OE, the other is a chinese replacement. They are not the same rate or dimensions. The OE spring is 3" at the front eyelet. The china spring is 2-3/4".

After going 'round and 'round with the local spring shop I found out that most replacement springs (unless you SEE them make it) are from a company called Dayton. Which gets its crap from china.

The short version is ORD 1" zero rate or new Tuff Country springs. I've seen it all lately and I can tell you that the Tuff Country springs are 10x better quality than what I saw at the local spring shop.

2cents

toocool

I had to put knew springs i my m1008 i got mine from autopartswarehouse they are a 5 leaf pack they work great i have a plow on mine they were $215 shipped to my house

biggestc69

Thanks for the replies everybody! Toocool did those springs bring the truck back to the original ride height or did lift it? How well do they hold up to the wieght of the plow?

1956_4x4

I put Tuff Country springs on all four corners of my '56 and they've held up well. The front springs on my 1031 are shot, but I'm having no luck find a company that makes them. I don't see a listing in the Tuff Country catalog.

Smitty

1956_4x4

I had to put knew springs i my m1008 i got mine from autopartswarehouse they are a 5 leaf pack they work great i have a plow on mine they were $215 shipped to my house
Do you happen to know which set of springs you purchased? Were they 3" wide designed to fit the truck with a 6.2?

Smitty

1956_4x4

john r springs they are 3 inch wide
Thanks for the reply. I went on the auto parts warehouse site and found their "John R. Springs", but I'm not too sure which ones to get. I found the John R. Spring Co. website and sent them an email asking their advise.

---- While typing this reply I just received a notice that their mailbox is full. I'll try giving them a call next week.----

Do you notice any big difference by running the 5-leaf spring packs? Mine have the 3-leaf spring packs. Did it raise, lower or keep the ride height the same?

Smitty

Abbylind

I went to a local spring shop. (Mc Brides) They re-arched the springs added a new leaf, and bushings. It was worth it taking the truck to them. They were able to determine that the truck was leaning to one side and compensated for that. Had I thrown a set of springs on the truck I don't know if it would have been correct. They also made sure I had the correct angle for the drive shafts and shimmed them.
My 2cents

biggestc69

The new springs from autoparts warehouse should be here today. I will probably get around to throwing them on next week. I'll be sure to get some pics and let everyone know how there are working out!