• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 fuel pump issue

iamhere

I have searched, but found nothing specific to this.

M1008, used as a Fire Department brush truck for a small department in Missouri.

Truck sputtered and died. Volunteer checked the output of the fuel pump, and
got no fuel while cranking.

We made sure there was fuel in tank, adding a couple of gallons to make
sure.

Changed the pump, and it still has no flow to the fuel filter.

Change the pump again, thinking we got a bad pump, no fuel still.

Hook an electric pump up, and we get flow.

Any ideas? Brush season is rapidly approaching.

ssgtwright-usmc

Pinched fuel lines or the sock of the fuel sender unit is full of gunk.
Somewhere on here someone mentioned how to use compressed air to blow into the tank to clear out the sock.
Other option, drop the tank and drain it and see what happens then.
Are you testing the fuel lines before it gets to the fuel filter or after it leaves the fuel filter?
Could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter.

ETBaals

M1008 fuel pump

Hi
when you changed the pump were you careful not to drop the fuel pump push rod out?

There is a little round psch rod that fits up into a port in the block right above the fuel pump arm.
This can fall out very easly and is a royal pain to keep in place, You usually have to pack it in grease to keep it in place.
Good luck
Ernie

dependable

If you ended up taking the steel rod that runs the lift pump out or let it drop down, you can stick it up while you put the new fuel pump in by putting a little heavy grease on the camshaft end of rod. Make sure rod is engaged with the fuel pump lever proprerly.

tsmall07

I think I'm going to just switch to an electric pump. I'm tires of dealing with this manual pump. That thing was hard enough to change. I didn't know about that rod and I'm not taking the pump out again... I still haven't tried it to see if it is working yet, though.

rod

Re: M1008 fuel pump

ETBaals said:
Hi
when you changed the pump were you careful not to drop the fuel pump push rod out?

There is a little round psch rod that fits up into a port in the block right above the fuel pump arm.
This can fall out very easly and is a royal pain to keep in place, You usually have to pack it in grease to keep it in place.
Good luck
Ernie
Ernie is absolutely correct about the pump push rod. When I changed my M1009 fuel pump I forgot about the push rod. I installed a new fuel pump and nothing. Pulled the fuel pump and bench tested it. It worked great. Hmmmmm. When I was standing there with a puzzeled look on my face, Dad walked into the shop and aked what was wrong. When I told him about installing the new pump and it not working but worked fine on the bench test, he asked about the pushrod. Ah, sure Dad I had it right. :oops: :oops: :oops: I guess I didn't have enough grease on the pushrod and it must have dropped down some. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Remounted the fuel pump with the pushrod in the right place and it works fine.

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: M1008 fuel pump

swapping the the electric pump is fine, just be sure to block off the hole and remove the rod from the engine. Get the block-off plate for a small block chevy fuel pump. its the same

ETBaals

push rod

Hi Rod
I was warned and still droped the rod out :oops:

I could not get it back in place unttil i took the mounting plate oof and packed the rod with grease.

The fuel pump bolts are a real joy t :twisted: o get too

Ernie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks