• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 fuel tank cap (locking kind)

dom1986ck30

Aloha All... Makahiki Hou!!! (HAPPY NEW YEAR) I was looking for a thread on fuel tank caps... couldn't find one. Was surprised. I am looking for a locking fuel tank cap for my M1008 1986. I bought one at O'Reilly's and it was too small. I then went to NAPA and took the cap in and they looked but... No dice. It was measured out at 2 7/8" wide. I believe the civilian trucks were smaller from what my research has given me. About an 1 1/2" wide. When I am describing the width, it is the thread. Outside/Outside width. Mahalo in advance for any input, suggestions.

Last edited:

Drock

I doubt you'll find one in the large size. Your best bet would be to simply add a lock to the door itself.https://www.grainger.com/product/8ALF6?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916703677!!!s!71841236239!&ef_id=WleLSQAABf0oQSao:20180111181528:s&kwid=productads-adid^50916703677-device^c-plaid^71841236239-sku^8ALF6-adType^PLA

cucvrus

Or just change the filler neck from a civilian donor truck of the same vintage. Unleaded or diesel will work. I have done it a few times at customers request. That way they could use the civilian locking gas cap. I doubt you will ever need to be filled with a tanker truck. My civilian trucks all fill up just fine with a standard fuel fill assembly. Easy fix. Have a great day. Book em Danno. Hole saw the unleaded restrictor out. Very easy.

dom1986ck30

Drock, cucvrus... Mahalo. Yeah, the civilian modification sounds good to get locking cap. I'm not going to give up quite yet. I believe an industrial/ag related cap is out there somewhere... Maybe it's a John Deere 1986 tractor cap. American made machinery of that time. Let you know... Cheers!

snowtrac nome

I work in the industrial equipment world there is no other cap like that, in korea cucv's had padalock hasps added to the fuel doors to secure the fuel caps

FrankenCub

I kinda like the big filler tube. One station I fill up at has pumps for tractor trailers and usually isn't very busy. I pull up to those pumps with the big nozzles and fill up in half the time. Not a bother in summer but when it's cold out I'd rather not spend much time holding the fill nozzle lol.

DREDnot

I kinda like the big filler tube. One station I fill up at has pumps for tractor trailers and usually isn't very busy. I pull up to those pumps with the big nozzles and fill up in half the time. Not a bother in summer but when it's cold out I'd rather not spend much time holding the fill nozzle lol.
I think everyone likes the cool big filler...but where the OP is located, fuel theft is a big problem. I'm sure the fuel thieves love the big unrestricted filler too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks