• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Glow plug relay stuck.

rfischba1

I tried to start the PU last night and for the frst time after it started the could hear the clicking sound, the volt meter kept jumping, and the lights dimmed all at the same time.
Does this sound like a glow plug relay problem?
Will this damage the stsrter, alternators,?
I shut the truck off and tried it again , same thing.

Crash_AF

It is normal for the GPR to continue to cycle the glow plugs for a few minutes after starting to prevent white smoke and smooth out the idle until the temp sensor detects some heat.

If you mean the GPR was constantly on after startup, that is bad. It won't hurt the starter or alternator, but it will burn out the glow plugs.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF

What was the temperature difference between yesterday and today? The temp gauge tells the controller when to cycle the plugs and when not to. It doesn't happen every time you start it, but as long as they stop cycling after a few minutes at most, things are fine.

Later,
Joe

rfischba1

Temp was about the same out side, 47 degrees rain. I was worred because I've never had the lights dim when the GP's cycled and the volt meter dropped back and forth.

hobie237

Was the cycling happening rapidly or not? If it was going back and fourth in intervals of, say, 2 seconds, it sounds like a problem. If it was happening with it staying "ON" for, say, 10 seconds each cycle, then it sounds normal. Without the time of the cycling, there's no way to tell whether it's normal or not.

I had a similar issue, the glow plug relay was kaput, one of the posts was loose and making intermittent contact.

JC

I agree with hobie237. I live by you and I noticed my GPR never cycled all summer long. I started having trouble starting my M1009 when the weather got colder so I replaced the GPR and it cycles like it is suppose to now. I'm surprised this is the first time you GPR cycled. Have you had any problems starting your PU since the weather got colder?

rfischba1

I'm going outside right now and give it a try, its about38 degrees outside here in MD.
If the lights dim everytime the GP cycles that's a problem right???
I'll report back later.

mangus580

I'm going outside right now and give it a try, its about38 degrees outside here in MD.
If the lights dim everytime the GP cycles that's a problem right???
I'll report back later.
Due to the amperage that glow plugs draw... The lights should dim some when the glow plugs cycle.

rfischba1

Well the truck started right up , no problems with the relay sticking and the volt meter jumping all over the place, only clicking noice now is the odometer is stuck and clicks as it tries to turn over the miles, but the speedo still works.
Thanks guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks