• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 good for high school?

brad242

I am a high school student and i recently got intrested in the mv hobby i was wondering if the m1008 is a good idea for a high school student? im not scared to work on these trucks. Ive worked on tractors and trucks all my life. Just wondering what the pros and cons were to these trucks.

91W350

My son has semi-stolen mine and has been driving it to school. He prefers it over his Saturn, not that I blame him. He says it has a cool factor that nobody else in school has. He prefers the pickup over the Blazer as well, he even drives it to visit his mother, rather than take a faster vehicle. That is about a 60 mile trip, one way. Glen

USAWEAPON777

I'd say yes. I'm 15 and bought a m1008 to fix up. there fine trucks, easy to work on, parts are easy to get for a military vehicle since it shares %90 of the parts with the civilian trucks. It's also relatively easy to work on. :p

2deuce

If your considering a truck, I'd say get one. My boys will definately be driving one, because if nothing else, dad has alot of parts, but they are a great truck to build on if you want to wheel or haul. Just as they are they stand out, and most teenagers like that.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If you get one, one of the first things to consider modifying or replacing is the ring and pinions. The stock truck has 4.56:1 differentials which is great if you want to pull a tractor, but for every day driving, it is just too slow. 3.73:1 is a much better ratio.

dmc-4359

I wish I'd had the option of such a ride when I was in high school. I prefer the Blazer to the pickups though. Having the option to motor around with a 4x4 for latenight parties in the woods would have been pretty sweet. Along those lines I'd venture it convertible enough for star gazing with an air mattress in the back while capable enough to get out to a quiet spot to make bringing the air mattress a worthwhile idea. Nothing that couldn't be done with a regular truck, I just prefer the Blazer format is all.

musclecars664

I would have loved to drive a CUCV to school. unfortunately i was left with having my mom pick me up. lol. I drive it to work everyday now though and love it.

Alucard-HD

I think it would be cool for me when i was in High School, most of my friends like BBs and not diesels, but they wouldnt have Bullet proof axles :beer: Good luck.

1986Blazerk5

I drive the blazer to high school and everybody loves it becausee it is unique im the only one that has this vehicle my shop teacher loves it as well

brad242

Ive been lookin at one down the road pretty hard i have to do alot of the work on it my self its 1800 but i have to change motors and transmissions from another truck in it. is that a good deal for these old trucks?

USAWEAPON777

naw i'd say start looking around for one. Thats seems a bit pricey for one thats got a no motor or trans. Check on here in the classifieds, ebay, craiglist, or maybe you could get one from gl.