• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 heater

walkerbzz11

Just wondering what I need to do about my heater in my m1008. It's seems to only work on high then at some point it'll start squalling like a bobcat. Thanks.

walkerbzz11

The blower motor and resister are going bad. They are also know for having a loose connection at the switch for the blower and melting the switch and pigtail. But the sequel is the blower motor bearing going out. Could have a rats nest in the heater box.
I don't doubt it. When the blower is on high bits of paper come flying out. Can all these parts be purchased at NAPA and what all parts do you think I need? Thanks.

Jeepadict

I don't doubt it. When the blower is on high bits of paper come flying out. Can all these parts be purchased at NAPA and what all parts do you think I need? Thanks.
It's just an old Chevy pickup with some extra lights, a weird charging system, and no A/C. 98% of it is just an 84 Diesel SRW K30. If NAPA/Carquest/Rock Auto don't have it...then go restoration parts companies like LMC, Tuckers, Classic Industries, Classic Parts, NPD, LS Fab, USA1, YearOne, Torque King, Squarebody Syndicate...etc. Whatever you do, don't tell them you have a CUCV...it will just confuse them.

Squarebody, CUCV, and mil vehicle groups on FB are other good information sources as this forum is.

You could also use the parts TM and start Googling NSN/part numbers for CUCV specific stuff like the extra lights and 24v DC system.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

walkerbzz11

It's just an old Chevy pickup with some extra lights, a weird charging system, and no A/C. 98% of it is just an 84 Diesel SRW K30. If NAPA/Carquest/Rock Auto don't have it...then go restoration parts companies like LMC, Tuckers, Classic Industries, Classic Parts, NPD, LS Fab, USA1, YearOne, Torque King, Squarebody Syndicate...etc. Whatever you do, don't tell them you have a CUCV...it will just confuse them.

Squarebody, CUCV, and mil vehicle groups on FB are other good information sources as this forum is.

You could also use the parts TM and start Googling NSN/part numbers for CUCV specific stuff like the extra lights and 24v DC system.

So should I start out with a new blower motor then maybe the heater controls? I think the "squirrel cage" is ok but I've not tore into it yet. Thanks.

Jeepadict

I'm a big fan of avoiding the parts Cannon at all costs. Pictures and videos help a bunch when asking for assistance in troubleshooting. You may want to bench test the items or utilize the TM troubleshooting guides before throwing random parts at a machine even if it seems obvious.

ehuppert

If debris is coming out when blower on rodents have left a nest in there....

Would strongly suggest pulling the resistor out of the heater core cover and make sure debris not packed around the resistor.

I had a fire in my truck years ago when letting it warm up to plow.... Looked out and cab was full of smoke.... Luckily I had tools handy and was able to rip heater core cover off quickly and extinguish!!!!! Scarey...

Now I pull resistor out every fall to make sure no nests.....

Had a squeaky blower so drilled a small hole in the end of the blower motor so I could lube up the end bushing. Got rid of the noise and has lasted for years!

Eric

cucvrus

Would strongly suggest pulling the resistor out of the heater core cover and make sure debris not packed around the resistor.

I had a fire in my truck years ago when letting it warm up to plow.... Looked out and cab was full of smoke.... Luckily I had tools handy and was able to rip heater core cover off quickly and extinguish!!!!! Scarey...

Had a squeaky blower so drilled a small hole in the end of the blower motor so I could lube up the end bushing. Got rid of the noise and has lasted for years!

Eric

walkerbzz11

Eric
Ok. Where is this resistor? Thanks.

cucvrus

No this is screwed to the outside of the heater box behind the battery. It has 2 small 7mm hex head screws holding it in place. And I think those 3 round things on the wiper motor are capacitors. They are to reduce noise and avoid interference with radio equipment. Police cares have or had similar connections. Good Luck. It is directly in line with the battery tray.

walkerbzz11

No this is screwed to the outside of the heater box behind the battery. It has 2 small 7mm hex head screws holding it in place. And I think those 3 round things on the wiper motor are capacitors. They are to reduce noise and avoid interference with radio equipment. Police cares have or had similar connections. Good Luck. It is directly in line with the battery tray.
Ok. I see one of these capacitors over on the heater end on the firewall. That's what I was thinking. Sorry electrical components ain't my thing at all. Thanks.

cucvrus

Ok. I see one of these capacitors over on the heater end on the firewall. I don't know that there are capacitors on the heater side. Maybe 1 on the blower motor wire. This piece is attached to the black tin cover under the hood on the heater box cover. Flat ribbon of brightly colored wires blue , orange , yellow. Sorry i posted the leak check on the wrong thread.

walkerbzz11

Ok. I see one of these capacitors over on the heater end on the firewall. I don't know that there are capacitors on the heater side. Maybe 1 on the blower motor wire. This piece is attached to the black tin cover under the hood on the heater box cover. Flat ribbon of brightly colored wires blue , orange , yellow. Sorry i p
Ok. I see one of these capacitors over on the heater end on the firewall. I don't know that there are capacitors on the heater side. Maybe 1 on the blower motor wire. This piece is attached to the black tin cover under the hood on the heater box cover. Flat ribbon of brightly colored wires blue , orange , yellow. Sorry i posted the leak check on the wrong thread.
How do you take the heater box in the cab off the firewall? Needs cleaning. I see no recognizable nuts or bolts except one on the far right and then two flat headed pieces of hardware that have no obvious way of loosening. Thanks.

cucvrus

Under the dash there is a 10mm hex head bolt on the very right side. Under the hood there are 3 or 4 11mm hex head nuts on studs. Remove the heater hoses carefully from the heater core stems. carefully because they are going to adhere themselves to the heater core connections and you must gentle with the core. I would just replace the heater core when you have the box out. under the dash you will need to disconnect the defrost ductwork 1 bolt 8 mm on front center. And the 2 control cables are held to the box with 7mm head screws and push nuts to hold the cables on the air director flaps. Good Luck. I would remove the glove box also while you are this far. it makes everything easier. 4 7 mm head screws. The fastener sizes I mentioned are the stock OEM sizes. Sometimes you find whatever holding things together.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks