• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Hydro Winch

bpcole

I have a Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic winch that goes on the humvees. Has anyone hooked one of these up to a CUCV? It hooks up to the power steering system on the truck. I had it on a dodge dakota for a while, but putting it on something with a hydroboost system is different. Any ideas?

bpcole

Thanks for the great pics hogtruck, the winch I have came with the humvee mounting kit, so
it has the mounting plate and hoses to hook up to those trucks. The hose fittings should be suitable for the CUCV system, right?

Hogtruck, just wondering if you run into any problems with clearance or digging in on uphill/downhills approaches? thats going on the assumption that you use your truck for decently aggressive offroading... havent climbed under the M1010 to look to close, but im thinking about mounting my winch "hidden" behind the front bumper... i know that they did it in 4Wheel & Offroad on a M1008, but havent looked into how they did it. i believe there was a hole cut in the license plate mount and the fairlead mounted to the bumper there. either that or a custom Pre-runner style bumper that still uses the original grilleguard.

bpcole

Another question for ya Hogtruck, you have the same winch that I do. Are the solenoids 24v of 12v? Where did you tie into to get your power source? When I had the winch on my dakota, i would sometimes have trouble with the winch solenoids not operating. I assumed the stock power steering pump on the dakota was not strong enough. Or is it because the solenoids are 24v and the dakota's 12v system was too weak? Ive emailed mile marker on this question, no reply yet.

In regards to solenoid issues, I use one on my tractor for logging. I had to add an inline filter before the winch to keep the solenoids clean. It obviously needs to be a high pressure filter. Also, MileMarker replaced a faulty set for me as well.

hogtruck

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put 4 inch lift on after winch install. Have not had any problems with approach angle so far, bu not heavy wheeling.
The takeoff winchs have a 24V solenoid. I powered from the 24V block. Also, used MM remote control.

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldsouthernboy

I have the hummer winch on my M1009 and my M1028. A heads up. it will cost about 200 to get ready to go. I did a 24 volt drop off the back battery to a Terminal block i glued to the inner fender well with a big gob of RTV. Installed a 15 amp fuse. and ran to my control selonid, this came with the winch control. The Hydroboost adapter fittings cost about 80.00 and the hoses you will need cost 35.00 and 40.00 apiece. My winches were take offs of hummers and the lines had been cut so i needed new banjo fittings also. Go to mile marker and they have the wiring diagrams to down load. After you have it all hooked up get a big bottle of power steering fluid, fill the tank full to the top. Start the engine and shut off after about 5 seconds. refill to the proper level. restart the engine and turn a full cycle of the steering from side to side. Shut off and refill if needed, Restart and operate the winch. recheck the power steering. Then go play in the mud. I recomed that after a short while driving get some toilet paper and check all your fittings for weeps and seeps. (follow the mile marker instrucions very closely when tighting the fittings) Take your old hose that you removed to hook the winch up, place in the vehicle along with a large bottle of of power steering fluid. keep the old hose in case you blow a line, you can unhook the winch hoses and replace the old hose, refill and get home.

Last edited:

bpcole

Thanks for the info guys, i downloaded the wiring and plumbing diagrams off the MM website for military applications. The Hummer fittings and hoses fit on my dodge dakota just fine, so Im hoping they'll fit on the cucv too. The winch was a hoss when I had it on the other truck. It would drag it on pavement with the parking brake on and in 4-low. Pretty strong winches as long as the engine is running off course.

SSG Rock

I like what i see. I have 2 of these hyd winches. Got from Redstone a couple of years ago. hope to mount one on my m1008 one day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks