• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 lift clearifications

mr_udy

I recently purchased a '86 M1008 and want to lift it. Thinking a 4" lift. After reading many "lift" threads, I am still confused about the difference between "1-ton" and "1/2-3/4 ton" lifts. I know the D60 front uses a different passanger side mounting method.

Are the rear u-bolts different as well (compared to 10-bolt)?

Are 1-ton front springs 3" wide (vs 2.5" for others)? If so, how do some folks use the 1/2-3/4 ton springs in a 1-ton truck (wouldnt there be a gap between the spring mounts/shackles?)? What about the mounting on the D60...isnt it made for a 3" wide spring?

Do I need sway bar drops? Do I really need a sway bar on such a heavy duty truck?

Is a pitman arm better than steering block?

Who makes ORD HD springs (I dont see Tuff Country lifts for 1-tons elsewhere)?

Are Rough Country lifts good (certainly cheapest I've found by far)?

My "better judgement" says call ORD and not worry about trying to get all the right stuff different places on my own...but I can get a lift with shocks from Rough Country for $350 (correct u-bolts and pitman arm would be additional). ORD wants that for front springs by them selves (shocks alone are $150 additional). Trying to keep costs in check...

I'll be using the truck for personal plowing and general "truck" use...maybe adding a dump-bed conversion for light use.

I recently purchased a '86 M1008 and want to lift it. Thinking a 4" lift. After reading many "lift" threads, I am still confused about the difference between "1-ton" and "1/2-3/4 ton" lifts. I know the D60 front uses a different passanger side mounting method.

Are the rear u-bolts different as well (compared to 10-bolt)?

Are 1-ton front springs 3" wide (vs 2.5" for others)? If so, how do some folks use the 1/2-3/4 ton springs in a 1-ton truck (wouldnt there be a gap between the spring mounts/shackles?)? What about the mounting on the D60...isnt it made for a 3" wide spring?

Do I need sway bar drops? Do I really need a sway bar on such a heavy duty truck?

Is a pitman arm better than steering block?

Who makes ORD HD springs (I dont see Tuff Country lifts for 1-tons elsewhere)?

Are Rough Country lifts good (certainly cheapest I've found by far)?

My "better judgement" says call ORD and not worry about trying to get all the right stuff different places on my own...but I can get a lift with shocks from Rough Country for $350 (correct u-bolts and pitman arm would be additional). ORD wants that for front springs by them selves (shocks alone are $150 additional). Trying to keep costs in check...

I'll be using the truck for personal plowing and general "truck" use...maybe adding a dump-bed conversion for light use.
One issue is the 1 ton has 56 inch rear springs and 3/4 ton has 52 inch. A good lift kit will come with sway bar drops and yes, if it were me I would keep the sway bar as it stabilizes the ride. I assume by steering block, you mean the steering arm on the hub end? You can do a drop pitman arm but it is not mandatory with a 4 inch lift. A good lift for a true 1 ton (or 1.25 ton on the M1008) will run you approximately $200 an inch. They do cost more due to the rear springs but lift blocks in the rear are a cheap alternative ONLY IN THE REAR. NEVER put blocks under the front springs. If you plan on hauling alot with it, rear lift blocks will cost you premature spring wear/sag. If you are going to lift it and haul heavy loads etc, you would be better off spending the money and getting a good lift.

CPAPPY

I just purchased a 8" lift yesterday from 4wheel parts , and had a great saleman. how help me with everything .I orderd every thing seperate a got a great deal . Superlift has a 3.5 " and a 5.5" lift for that truck as a kit. the superlift has the correct u-bolts for the rear. The rear spring are going to cost ya about 450.00 more . I think they the cheapest company . Here is the number of the 4wheelparts. Toll-Free: 877-260-5452. I spock to John his ext. is 5105. Also the tech support for superlift is 318-397-3000 they can help also making sure you have the correct u-bolt and other qestions. Skyjacker tech. support number is 318-388-0816. As for as the smaller spring up front they use bushings with 1/4" flanges . I purchased my complete lift for 1300.00 that is with a crossover steering unit with a new 2wheel steering gearbox. I am putting this on my m1028

Attachments

mr_udy

The front spring length is the same...right? Its the rears that vary between 3/4 and 1 ton (52 vs 56)?

I am planning for blocks at this point to keep costs down...upgrade to springs or shackle reverse if it becomes necessary.

Do the 1/4" bushings come standard with the 2.5" wide springs or do I need to specify I'm installing on a 1 ton?

I apreciate your input and I'll keep you all posted...might start my own build thread to track progress (and solicite advice...).

I'm a bit wishy-washy at this point...struggling with $$$ vs what I really want (ORD with rear shackle reversal, swaybar disconnect, greasable bushings).

CPAPPY

The front spring length is the same...right? Its the rears that vary between 3/4 and 1 ton (52 vs 56)?

I am planning for blocks at this point to keep costs down...upgrade to springs or shackle reverse if it becomes necessary.

Do the 1/4" bushings come standard with the 2.5" wide springs or do I need to specify I'm installing on a 1 ton?

I apreciate your input and I'll keep you all posted...might start my own build thread to track progress (and solicite advice...).

I'm a bit wishy-washy at this point...struggling with $$$ vs what I really want (ORD with rear shackle reversal, swaybar disconnect, greasable bushings).
If your buying a kit it will come with the proper bushing , buying seperate you will need to buy the bushing and u bolts . I made many calls to john @ 4wheelpart. and he was able to help me out. Also tech. support can go into more detail.

CPAPPY

I have michelin 11.00r16 there about 39" tall and about 11.5 wide tire . No lift yet in the pictures ,although the front I have lifted about 3.5" to make it level . And to give me some ideal what size lift I wanted . I am going to 8 " because I will want to put nitto mud grappler 38"x15.5 x18" later this setup is good for now.

Cucvnut

call WFO and get there dana 60 u bolt install kit it has new studs and u bolts. also you might want to replace the rear shackles on the fron springs the stock ones are shorter then the later k30 trucks. WFO and ORD sell them. if you want check out my lift in my signature.

Cucvnut

Also think about Cross over steering at some point. now remember everyone ends up paying different prices for there lift i spend almost 2k on mine but i bought lots of over kill and other parts that done come with a standard lift from places like 4Wheel parts.. if you want i can give you a break down on my lift parts

Last edited:

CPAPPY

Also think about Cross over steering at some point. now remember everyone ends up paying different prices for there lift i spend almost 2k on mine but i bought lots of over kill and other parts that done come with a standard lift from places like 4Wheel parts.. if you want i can give you a break down on my lift parts
Cucvfreek that would be great for a list of parts, thanks . CPAPPY

OH, by the way serious flexing . LOOK GGGREAT.

mr_udy

Thanks cucvfreak...I saw your build up thread. Truck looks great. I wish I could do all that but money is a limiting factor at this point...some day! I'd like to build up in a manner I can upgrade as I go and not waste money/parts. Thinking a basic rear block kit right now...but with 1ton HD front springs to help with the weight of a plow.

What does crossover steering resolve? At what size lift is it necessary?

mr_udy

who is WFO? SOunds like they have a kit to be able to use a 1/2-3/4 ton lift on my 1-ton? Does it have the spacer/bushings for the narrower springs too?

Cucvnut

www.wfoconcepts.com Thanks for the complements! Cross over steering eliminates the push pull type of steering our trucks come with stock. with cross over you use a 2wd Steering box and you go to a left right style box the steering uses a drag link that is run to the passenger knuckle and steers from the passenger side instead of from the drivers side knuckle. It helps with making a full turns and if you go wheeling when you turn the wheels they dont get crossed up like standard steering does.

Parts I used for my lift

2WD steering box taped for hydro assist steering.(Pacificfab.net used)
Custom PSC hydro assist lines.( bought from PSC )
AGR rock ram with custom brackets .(used from PacFab)
Custom front drive shaft.(built it in shop at PacFab)
WFO spring plates,front spring shackles, spring bushings,u bolts and stud kit for Dana 60 and Dana 60 steering knuckle studs and pit-man arm,cross over steering arm , drag link custom cut to length and tig welded ball joint ends and ball joints.( all from WFO if you need part numbers pm me)
ORD k30 shackle flip in the rear,front and rear zero rate blocks(from ORD the M1009 and M1008 use Different shackle flip numbers)
Rear leafs are the stock ones with the top 5 springs and over load and a zero rate.(will be switching them out to a 1028 leaf spring set)
Front springs are 4 inch with a zero rate.( the front springs where used and came with the zero rate from Pac Fab)
XRP front and rear brake lines(WFO)
BDS shocks for a 8 inch lift.(www.Pacificfab.net)

Save for the ORD and XRP stuff and BDS shocks I got a lot of stuff from WFO and Pacific Fab. Im sure I am missing some parts but ill look at my master list and add them.

Last edited: