• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Lift or Level?

Efituned

I recently bought a m1008 with 18k miles. I have been wanting to raise the front of the truck to where it sits level with the rear. Thinking about that, gave me an idea to just do a 4" lift to fit some 35" tires. My concerns about the 4" lift is if the springs are as heavy duty as the orginal rear springs.

If I can't have the same heavy duty style springs from a 4" lift kit, then I will just raise the front, level with the rear. Any ideas on a lift kit or where to get the hardware to level the truck?

Attachments

jmassenga

Doubtful you will find a lift kit with springs like the stock rears in them, but you can use lift blocks back there and retain the stock springs. Check the spring rates on the front springs before you buy - a soft spring and the heavy diesel will net you less than the advertised lift. A set of 4" Rancho springs and a few hundred lbs of winch weight on the front netted me 2-2.5" of lift. Still enough to clear 36" tires though with minor fender modifications. I put 1.5" blocks in the back and it looks level to me.

Cucvnut

if you want to level it put a 3 inch spring in it. as for the rear the bigger the lift the less spring pack you go with. contact alcan spring or deaver.

Last edited:

Matt65

I went the cheap route for my lift, details in my signature. The only thing I may do in the future would be crossover steering. I would lift it to add taller tires. It greatly improves the ride, and drops the sky high rpms while on the highway.

Last edited:

truck1

Ditto on the ORD 4" lift.I just completed this lift on my 1028.Shackle flip in the rear is easy on your driveshaft and pinion angle.It moves the axle forward a bit and eliminates pullaway from the front TC yoke.I went with HD Tuff Country springs in front, with drop pitman arm.Truck rides great on 37" Goodyear Humvee radials.On the road I have no fender rub, but offroad the bottom of the front fenders rubbed .A slight trim job was required.Thanks all on this site for the invaluable info that saved me big dough!![thumbzup]

Cucvnut

the shakle flip does not move the axle forward. it moved the shackle angel forward. zero rates are needed to move the axle forward or backwards.

Efituned

I am considering ORD's basic 4" lift, keeping the stock rear springs and installing HD springs up front. I was thinking about going with 35's, but I hear a lot about these Hummer tires.

idM1028

From what I've heard (and I know folks rolling around with 1009's on 4" lift and HMWWV 37's. Short wheelbase+big lift=crazy angles) 4 inches is about the limit. Anything more and you'll need to start looking into your driveshaft angles, shims, and all that goodness. 4" should be MORE than enough. If you don't mind trimming (or hacking?) up your fenders up a bit, you can fit some pretty big tires even without too much lift. Check this out: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/364830/1986-chevrolet-c-k-pick-up/page-2
Granted, he didn't have a whole lot of "flex room" but thats just on a set of zero rates from Offroad Design. Check 'em out. They got a lot of good stuff.

Efituned

Yeah, I plan on getting most of my stuff from ORD, but I just don't want to lose the drivability of the truck. This is not going to be a mud truck or a crawler, just the occasional drive into town and woods truck. I don't want to wear out the parts by installing this lift and 35-37" tires. I love the diesel and the t400, but the 40-45mph drives are killing me.

Matt65

I dont think adding lift and tires will wear anything out, I have found my truck to be rather sturdy. For how you plan on using it I would have zero concern for lift / tire related wear or failures.

Efituned

I dont think adding lift and tires will wear anything out, I have found my truck to be rather sturdy. For how you plan on using it I would have zero concern for lift / tire related wear or failures.
What kind of wheels are you using? Are you using spacers? I have been looking at trail worthy fab wheels, I just really don't want to run spacers.

I have heard that the hummer wheel and tire combo rides really rough because of the welded/pressed in wheel centers and the type of tires. Is this true? Which hummer tires should I get for the most comfortable ride?

Matt65

What kind of wheels are you using? Are you using spacers? I have been looking at trail worthy fab wheels, I just really don't want to run spacers.

I have heard that the hummer wheel and tire combo rides really rough because of the welded/pressed in wheel centers and the type of tires. Is this true? Which hummer tires should I get for the most comfortable ride?

My wheels are factory GM wheels I got for $50. I wanted to keep the rotating mass at the wheel assy. low vs beadlock, runflats, spacers/re welded centers. More details in signature. My spare is a factory ford wheel. My 37"s are radials, they ride great. I hear some of the Bias 36"s aren't as smooth.

Efituned

My wheels are factory GM wheels I got for $50. I wanted to keep the rotating mass at the wheel assy. low vs beadlock, runflats, spacers/re welded centers. More details in signature. My spare is a factory ford wheel. My 37"s are radials, they ride great. I hear some of the Bias 36"s aren't as smooth.

Oh okay, now I see. That wheel seems too narrow for the hummer tires. I thought hummer tires only mounted on beadlock wheels. Do you have any problems with the tires holding air or anything? Also, do you know exactly what those wheels came off of? I have been showing a few people your truck, that's the look I am going for.

Last edited:

Matt65

I have had no leaks at all. I run the metal valve stems as well. The wheel donor truck was a late 70s GM 1ton. Keep im mind the older Ford wheels will work. Be sure its a 16.5" and not a 16. Most people prefer a wider wheel for the mud. My goal had less to do with playing in the mud.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks