• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Lift/Tires Installed

DooDooBrown

Well my 1008 has some new shoes and a lift. Its the standard 4 inch Tuff Country Springs up front and a 4 inch ORD shackle flip in the rear. It really drives well...surprisingly well, I couldn't ask for better. I'll paint her tan one day.

how do you just post a pic on here and not just a link to it?

AJMBLAZER

Definitely a possibility. These trucks are a bit crude in the stock form. Some good lift springs (BDS or Tuff Country for example or National Spring, Atlas, Deaver, etc if you have some money), various suspension and steering fixes and they drive pretty damn good.

DooDooBrown

Sorry for the late reply, The truck has a 4" lift and 37" Hummer radials. The front has tuff countrys and the rear the ORD shackle flip. I got the lift pieces from Off Road Design. I highly recommend them. I have a corrected pitman arm as well.

Future plans include rear disk brake conversion, mount my warn 15,000lb winch, spare tire and gas can rack, milspec tan paint job, and perhaps cross over steering with an ARB locker up front.............

aboonski

Very nice job! I bought a set (5ea) of the 12 bolt H1 rims with wrangler radials and need to get to work on a lift kit for my M1008A1. Locally there's a Craig's List ad for a set of four of the 8- bolt H1 rims for $350.00 (Palm Bay Florida, Spacecoast edition of Craig's List). I am interested in the larger tires for many reasons, especially after getting stuck in the mud when my friend Lavarok and I drove through Holopaw (Suburban Estates). I still have the stock tires and rims on my CUCV inflated to 80 psi - another reason why I lost traaction in the mud! I hope to eventually have pictures of my truck with the H1 rims & tires someday.

86M10086.2L

How does the truck sit with the shackle flip in the back? Is it Level? I have the same setup as you (minus the shackle flip) from ORD as well. I'm looking to replace the rear lift blocks with a shackle flip setup but I hate the look of nose diving 4WD trucks. I thought the flip was 4 1/2 inches.

Croatan_Kid

Nah, just 4"!

They also have a 2.5" flip as well. The only thing with the 4" is it pushes the axle too far forward for my liking and I would want to use a Zero Rate to recenter it in the wheel well and that would make it 5". Currently I have 5" up front and 3" lift out back and it sits just a bit nose high, but the big, heavy Cummins that will soon grace my engine compartment will level it out quite nicely.

If you just have a 3" block, I wouldn't worry about it. 4" or bigger, I would get new spring or do a flip. If you do a flip, access to a torch will greatly expidite this process. You can cut the head off of the rivets and punch them out as opposed to grinding and drilling :roll:

86M10086.2L

I did a 4"/3" on my truck figuring that the front springs would settle slightly over time. It's been about 6 months now and theres no signs of settling. Which in reality is a good thing. I would like the added flex of the rear axle the shackle flip affords. The shifting of the axle is the big dilema. I suppose I could use the 2.5" with a zero rate and be a 1/2" closer and a few years on the springs and with a winch installed it may level out.

Anyway, DOODOOBROWN cool truck. It's always nice to see another lifted CUCV.

butch32

Quick question I have a 4" rancho front spring, how much block in the rear to make truck sit level a 3 or 4 inch block. Wanted tough country front springs but I couldn't resist the deal I got on these.

DooDooBrown

How does the truck sit with the shackle flip in the back? Is it Level? I have the same setup as you (minus the shackle flip) from ORD as well. I'm looking to replace the rear lift blocks with a shackle flip setup but I hate the look of nose diving 4WD trucks. I thought the flip was 4 1/2 inches.
Its pretty level with just a touch of nose dive. With the spare tire and fuel cans in the back, it sits level. I think this will vary with different trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks