• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 multiple spare tire mount ideas needed

fal_shooter

I fought the tire and the tire won. The under mount spare is impossible to work with. Won't bore you with details. If you've done it you know.

I want to be able to carry a total of 3 spares. I will leave the one under the bed for a last resort tire. I am also considering the option of mounting one on the brush guard but that would still leave one tire to mount somewhere. I guess the best place to mount them would be over or behind the wheel wells. I need to carry plywood on occasion and I want to keep the 4x8 space available. My truck has standard size street tires. Any ideas?

cucvrus

Use the tire mount out of an M1009 on each side at the rear of the wheel wells. Right side easy direct bolt in. Left side needs some tweaking to get it ti fit. But still doable with a sawzall and a welder.

Skinny

What kind of failures are you getting? Sixteen years of fourwheeling and I've never killed 2 tires in need of a 3rd. I would almost explore tire repair options so you can do field repairs over trying to carry a 3rd. Desert trucks don't even carry 3 tires.

I would think that as long as you don't have a complete blowout failure or a puntured sidewall, you could carry a patch kit, small air compressor, some starting fluid just in case, and maybe a tube. That takes up a lot less space and weight. Plus it is the gift that keeps on giving. Just throwing out other options.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
spare tire mount out of the Canadian Army 1976 Chevy 5/4 , someone should have a photo handy , check the last bunch of CDN posts,

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of failures are you getting? Sixteen years of fourwheeling and I've never killed 2 tires in need of a 3rd. I would almost explore tire repair options so you can do field repairs over trying to carry a 3rd. Desert trucks don't even carry 3 tires.

I would think that as long as you don't have a complete blowout failure or a puntured sidewall, you could carry a patch kit, small air compressor, some starting fluid just in case, and maybe a tube. That takes up a lot less space and weight. Plus it is the gift that keeps on giving. Just throwing out other options.
Exactly what I do.
Never leave home without a plug kit

edpdx

fal_shooter: here is the link to another thread here on spare carriers. The whole deal was about$70 buck IIRC. Aftermarket carrier from the wrecking yard, and a 3"x3" square tube and longer Ring carriers to rest the 3x on. A little welding.

carrier2.jpgcarrier1.jpg

Durango_USMC

Could always bolt one to the brushguard as well... thatd give you 4 spares. One on the brushguard, two in the bed, and one under the bed. If you get a headache rack you could mount one there as well and I have seen some mounted to tailgates as well. But the bed mount from a M1009 is something Im even considering.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I fought the tire and the tire won. The under mount spare is impossible to work with. Won't bore you with details. If you've done it you know.

I want to be able to carry a total of 3 spares. I will leave the one under the bed for a last resort tire. I am also considering the option of mounting one on the brush guard but that would still leave one tire to mount somewhere. I guess the best place to mount them would be over or behind the wheel wells. I need to carry plywood on occasion and I want to keep the 4x8 space available. My truck has standard size street tires. Any ideas?
Here's a good link to solutions.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=297980

fal_shooter

It is not really an issue of failures although in the NW you do have some areas of rock outcrops that can slice a tire open. It's not that I need to carry 3 tires. I just don't ever want to mess with the one under the bed after my last experience. I have two extra mounted tires that I want to get out of the garage. When I bought my tires I got 6 for the price of 3 so now I have two extra. One tire needs to go in the bed because I'm to ****ed old to crawl under the truck and fight the thing out. I have been looking for a under the bed swing out tire rack but have not had any success finding one. I hear they don't work that well but the original is unworkable for me. Based on what some of the others said the side mount looks like a solution. I would probably only carry one spare in the bed but it is nice to have the option of carrying two just to get them out of the way in the garage.

fal_shooter

The the #325482 bedside tire carrier looks like a good way to go for a driver side mount. I think I will go to the junk yard and see what I can find. Thanks for the input. I could put a fuel can on the other side and still have room for a sheet of plywood. Now I need to find or make a fuel can carrier for the new issue plastic cans. I bought 15 of those fuel cans for $5 bucks each before the government decided not to sell them anymore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks