• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 No Steering

Jackal1actual

I was backing out of my driveway, heard a thump/clank and had no turning capability. When the steering wheel is turned to max left and right I get slight tire movement. I replaced the steering gear, thinking it wasnt transferring the steering shaft movement. This didn't help the issue at all. Pitman arm, outer tie rods and steering arm move, but it seems like the gap is too large for the steering arm to catch and turn the wheel. Any ideas?
---------------------------
EDIT:

Sorry I haven't posted pictures, I've been busy with work.

i think I may have found the culprit

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the studs for the steering arm have snapped?

A full visual inspection should find the failure point.

Also, look closely at the frame where the steering gearbox attaches(they are known to break).

cucvrus

Check the bolt at the rag joint. Where the steering column coupler attaches to the steering box. Maybe the bolt broke and it slipping on the splines. Should be easy to detect. Get a helper to look while you steer. Or vise versa.