• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Noob Questions (hp, tq, durability, speed, etc.)

PapaPumpSD

I have been snooping around on this killer forum and noticed that someone said if you want a capable, yet 'fast', off-road vehicle that a CUCV (not sure what that means yet) is your best bet.

Does anyone know the hp (horsepower) and tq (torque) for the 6.2 V-8? Also, what is the max. safest operating speed?

Do these do well off-road in "as is" condition (unmodified) or are they mainly for pulling/transporting?

Also, how many miles on one of these is considered "appropriate"? I have seen some listed with as few as 35,000 and upward of 100,000 miles. Is there a line you draw, such as "never over 50,000 miles". I am assuming it won't be that definitive.

Sorry if I'm undating everyone w/questions. I used the search feature and got a bunch of unrelated links. I visited both CUCV wikis and did not find this information either.

Thanks for any help.

militarycucv

cucv's are nowhere near fast.. m1008's go about 50-55mph m1009's ~65mph.. in stock form they ride like dump trucks off road. they have 155hp and i beleive 240 ft lbs of tq.. mileage is not that much of and issue its mainly about condition of everything else.. let me know if u want to know more haha.

1986Blazerk5

cucv's are nowhere near fast.. m1008's go about 50-55mph m1009's ~65mph.. in stock form they ride like dump trucks off road. they have 155hp and i beleive 240 ft lbs of tq.. mileage is not that much of and issue its mainly about condition of everything else.. let me know if u want to know more haha.
I think it around 260 ft lbs, with the J code diesel

ABN173

I have been snooping around on this killer forum and noticed that someone said if you want a capable, yet 'fast', off-road vehicle that a CUCV (not sure what that means yet) is your best bet.

Does anyone know the hp (horsepower) and tq (torque) for the 6.2 V-8? Also, what is the max. safest operating speed?

Do these do well off-road in "as is" condition (unmodified) or are they mainly for pulling/transporting?

Also, how many miles on one of these is considered "appropriate"? I have seen some listed with as few as 35,000 and upward of 100,000 miles. Is there a line you draw, such as "never over 50,000 miles". I am assuming it won't be that definitive.

Sorry if I'm undating everyone w/questions. I used the search feature and got a bunch of unrelated links. I visited both CUCV wikis and did not find this information either.

Thanks for any help.
1. The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV Program was instituted to provide the United States military with a cheaper Light Utility Vehicle to augment the purpose-built, but expensive, Gama Goats and Humvees then coming into service. It initially provided Dodge D Series and then Chevrolet C/Ks with several military modifications. All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure. The vehicle has five basic configurations; cargo, utility, ambulance, shelter carrier, and chassis. The vehicles were purchased in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Chrysler Corporation, Dodge Division, and in the mid 1980s from General Motors.

As far as miles reading CUCV's stop at 99,999.9 then they roll over, that being said I prefer a vehicle that looks to be in decent shape and over 50,000 miles since the odds are its a true reading. For example it you see one at 62,543 it is either 162,543 or 62,543.

I can't answer your off-road questions as its not my thing. I have taken my CUCV out to some Field sites and had to lock the hubs and go 4x4 few times.

I travel 60-65 in my M1008 without any issues, I used to have a M1009 that would travel 75-80 with no issues, it may have gone faster but I never pushed it.

-Dale

page95

the cucv m1008 dose good off road whit mud tires. it has a 6.2 motor. the m1008 is a 5/4 ton or a 1 1/4 ton pickup. speed is 60 mph but its sceeming. the m1008 is a good truck thats my 2cents. it gets 14 mpg.

1986Blazerk5

1. The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV Program was instituted to provide the United States military with a cheaper Light Utility Vehicle to augment the purpose-built, but expensive, Gama Goats and Humvees then coming into service. It initially provided Dodge D Series and then Chevrolet C/Ks with several military modifications. All were phased out sooner than expected due to their inability to survive the hardships that the purpose built vehicles could endure. The vehicle has five basic configurations; cargo, utility, ambulance, shelter carrier, and chassis. The vehicles were purchased in the late 1970s and early 1980s from Chrysler Corporation, Dodge Division, and in the mid 1980s from General Motors.

As far as miles reading CUCV's stop at 99,999.9 then they roll over, that being said I prefer a vehicle that looks to be in decent shape and over 50,000 miles since the odds are its a true reading. For example it you see one at 62,543 it is either 162,543 or 62,543.

I can't answer your off-road questions as its not my thing. I have taken my CUCV out to some Field sites and had to lock the hubs and go 4x4 few times.

I travel 60-65 in my M1008 without any issues, I used to have a M1009 that would travel 75-80 with no issues, it may have gone faster but I never pushed it.

-Dale
I think when the odemeter roles over it leaves a white line on the farthest number to the left. so when it rolls over 00,001, the 0 farthest to the left will have a white line in the middle of it.

They were defiintly built for offroading thats for sure as for power my dog runs faster than the m1008 lol im joking i:beer: luv these trucks i fu are after a speed demon these arent for u but u want a reliable and very useful truck then its a great start