• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 NP208 transfer case leak fix

bushhawg73

I cannot swear that this will fix your leak but it worked for me so I wanted to share. Please don't bomb me for the lack of pics LOL. My computer gets all tied up when I try and upload them so I just chose not to even try this time.

My transfer case was leaking around the output shaft and dripping out of the centerof the yoke onto the skid plate. It was leaking around the nut. The yoke was filled with blue RTV by someone else and that did not even stop the leak so here is what I did.

Removed the skid plate. Marked the position of the drive shaft and removed. Removed of the output shaft nut, rubber star washer and yoke. Completely cleaned the yoke and discarded the nut and star washer. Removed the output shaft seal and discarded. Completely cleaned the sealsurface and ready to put back together.

I then installed the new Timken output shaft seal. Slid the yoke on the shaft and here is where it gets interesting. When I removed the old rubber star washer behind the nut I took note of the thickness and compared it to the parts I had ordered. The new parts came in two different thicknesses so I ordered a few of each just to be sure. My old star washer was the thicker of the two but when I installed the new thicker star washer it appeared to be too thick. I compared the two and determined that even though the thicker star washer was what was previously installed I should go with the thinner of the two. Basically because ofthe way the output shaft nut was going to compress the washer I felt like the thicker version would only squish it out of place because under torque it was just two thick. I also thought that this may have been the problem all along since I had the thicker one installed previously. So to be clear I used the thinner version of the rubber star washer. Normally I would not have used any silicone or RVT but I wanted the leak to stop so I decided to use a product that is not affected by oil in my past experience. It’s a seal maker similar to RVT but in my opinion its way better. I have used it on oily surfaces before and it still sealed and made a good gasket with no leaks. It’s sold only at Kubota tractor dealerships and I really like it. It’s called Kubota grey silicone gasket. I applied a little bit of the grey silicone to the star washer and around where the nut would seat. I was generous so that a little with squish around the nut and inside the yoke. I then installed the new output shaft nut and it was a bear. Due to it being what I call a captive nut it was a chore to get it tightened to the point where I could torque it down. After that I installed the drive shaft and skidplate. Refilled the unit with oil and waited. And waited for days….. No leaks!!!!!!!! Even took it out and trail tested it and still no leaks. Very pleased to say the least.

Here is a list of the parts I used and where I got them.
Timken outputshaft seal, part # 3946 (Autozone)
Kubota grey silicone gasket, part # 70000-73764 (Kubota tractor dealership)
Castrol automatic transmission fluid, same as I use in my transmission made for older GM vehicles(Autozone)
Rubber star washer, part # TK10513 (quad4x4.com) this one is 0.182 thick
Rubber star washer, part # QU50666 (quad4x4.com) this one is 0.070 thick
Output shaft nut,part # QU10512 (quad4x4.com)
Driveshaft u bolt kit, Part # QU40765 (quad4x4.com)

Torque settings
Front u boltsthat hold the front u joint to the differential yoke, 4 nuts, 15 LBS
Transfer case output shaft flange to drive shaft CV joint flange, 4 bolts, 75 LBS
Output shaft nut,1 captive nut, 120 LBS

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks