• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 or M1009?

bigtard10

Which variation is better and more dependable? I can't figure out which one I want. i currently have a 77 blazer so the M1009 would be familiar, but a diesel would be a whole new thing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dependability would be similar. Road speed and fuel mileage will vary quite a bit. The blazer has better road speed and mileage than the pickup but the pickup can do some moderate towing beyond what the M1009 can do.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1008 and my buddy had a 1009. I'd have a 1008 over the 1009 any day. I use this truck all the time. It tows great, gets good fuel mileage and having a full size bed makes it super handing around the property.

bigtard10

I have a 1008 and my buddy had a 1009. I'd have a 1008 over the 1009 any day. I use this truck all the time. It tows great, gets good fuel mileage and having a full size bed makes it super handing around the property.
Thanks! I think that right there seals the deal.

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blazer m1009 22 miles to gal.has 308 gears m1008 4.56 gears top speed with out over rev motor 50 and about 10-11 miles per gal. the trucks were made to pull with a low gears sucks for fuel mileage

welpro222

Just remember, you can always swap stuff to make it more to your liking. The guy who owned my m1008 before me swapped 3.73 gears in it. There are quite a few m1009 with 1 ton axles swapped under them. If you can or don't mind paying and doing some work, then you might want to consider which body style will fit you better.

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you need to decide what you want to do with your truck, I own both , the 1008 is a hauler , long distance or short, the 1009 is a daily driver and light hauler with normal road speed and much better mileage and room for extra bodies,

the skull

Really, if you just want a driver, the M1009 is the clear choice. But if you want a truck,
for hauling stuff or whatever, the M1008 is the real thing. As has been said before though,
if you want to haul big stuff all the time, just buy a Duramax or something. For what I'm
doing, the M1008 is "Big Medicine". I sold a C20 that I really enjoyed to get the M1008.

Gripy

It depends on what you want to do. If you're going to off-road and lift it and put on bigger tires then go for m1008. If you're going to keep it stock then m1009 is fine.
Fuel economy: my M1008 with 37" tires and hummer beadlocks I get 11-12 city, 17-20 hwy depending on how hilly it is and how fast I take it.
m1009 I think does almost 20 city, and a bit more hwy. But again it depends how fast you push it.

MarcusOReallyus

Which variation is better and more dependable? .

"Better" depends on what you want to do with it, as others have already covered.

"More dependable" depends on the condition it's in. That has nothing to do with the 9 or the 8 at the end of the model number. People are using both for daily drivers, snow plowing, you name it.

tstone

The M1009 is great for a daily driver because of fuel economy but is limited by minimal tow-abilty and cargo space. The M 1008 is great for local transportation of heavy goods and towing. Modern diesel vehicles greatly surpass the abilities of both vehicles so the 1008 and 1009 shouldn't be compared to vehicles that are 25 to 30 years newer. The 1008 and 09 were made with naturally aspirated diesel engines and do not have the horse power or strength through the turbo 400 transmissions.
I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado with a Duramax and there is no fair comparison in performance between any of the CUCV's. I love my M 1009 for daily driving and use my 1008 for local hauling of firewood, pulling my MKT and other heavy loads. I'll pull heavy loads with the 1009 up hill on paved roads in 2nd gear to take it easy on the tranny. I won't drive it over 50 MPH as I want to preserve the old truck as I'm driving a piece of American history. These trucks were selected by the military off the shelf, as close to a civiliain vehicle as possible, with some minimal modifications to help reduce cost as compared to engineering a new vehicle. If you have the mindset that you keep the vehicle as original as possible and use it for the intended use you will be well pleased. If you want to modify it to perform as a more modern vehicle you will probably shorten it's life and be disappointed with long term performance. In my opinion, these are great and fun vehicles and perform well based on their original design.

NovacaineFix

I have to basically agree with what a lot of everybody else has already stated.

I have a 1009, use it as a daily driver, dependable as all heck. will pretty much run on anything.
The engines are the same, it's just the towing aspect that is different. Yeah, you could take the top off the 1009 to sort of make it a pick-up, but it is a pain in the a$$ to take that top off and put back on.
The towing, like everyone else has stated, is better in the 1008 plus with the pick-up bed, it has more loading room and usability as a work truck.

But again, it's like what everyone has already stated, it really depends on what your intended use is or what you want out if it.

Me personally, I could use a M1031, it would suit me better for my work.

Don;t let the diesel part get to you, it's not that hard. You just have to remember, it's still an engine, mainly the ignition and fuel parts are different, everything else is just heavier.