• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 Paint issue

24farragut

i have an 84 M1008, flat green. I had it delivered, and it seems like someone sprayed PB blaster or WD-40 on the front fender, and it made dark spots on the paint. Any suggestion on how to clean this off the paint? i tried to scrub it a little with some baking soda and it doesnt seem to work. Anyone have any ideas?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Soap?, hot water?, if it's only oil, it should come off, don't scrub on it hard though, when I did this, it didn't take much to get down to the primer. . . oxidized southwest paint though.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My father just did the same thing to my front bumper. Let me know how you get it off since I just repainted that truck in the summer; I really dont want to paint it again.

N Arizona

My truck had oil spilled under the seat at some point and I have been trying several was to remove the oil from the CARC paint. Dish washing soap works ok if there is not much oil there. Lacquer Thinner works but if you are not careful the paint will wipe off. I am going to try a few other things I will keep you posted.

Milbikes

There is a shop solvent in a spray can that says on the can "it is safe for use on paint if you follow the directions' on the can. Napa has it.

Wolf.Dose

Use any soap with tensides, for example dish soap or washing pouder. Make a fat solution of it and wash step by step and use a lot of time. Flush with a lot of water.
Cold cleaning slovents will also work, but the cleaning stuff is the same as in washing powder and therefore to expensive. If you own a hight pressure steam cleaner, use that one after you prewashed the parts in question with the solution mentioned above.
Wolf

greg6459

I knew of some guys in the motor pool who used to spray theirs down with transmission fluid before inspections...(makes em' shiny)

24farragut

thanks guys, i will try to simple green. i tried dishwasher fluid, that stuff gets hard as a rock and really pulls off all the dirt, but the oil stayed.