• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Power Steering Trouble Shooting

CivilEGR

A few weeks ago now I had to get pulled out of a bit of deep water. Deep enough that water was definetly in the engine compartment, but not deep enough that it got to the intake and flooded me out. As soon as I was back on dry land, my power steering was completely gone. I pulled over, left the hood open to dry everything out, then started back on my way figuring out if I could make it or not with the steering. At some point it came completely back and I didn't think much of it since. However, today while driving I noticed a humming noise from the engine compartment and the power steering seems to be getting pretty difficult. Any thoughts on what might be causing this or what I should look for to see if my power steering is working correctly?

cucvrus

First check your power steering fluid. Next make sure the power steering bracket is completely in tact and not cracked or broken. Is the belt tight? I think it sounds like a fluid issue. Report back on your findings. Be Safe.

CivilEGR

First check your power steering fluid. Next make sure the power steering bracket is completely in tact and not cracked or broken. Is the belt tight? I think it sounds like a fluid issue. Report back on your findings. Be Safe.
Just went out and checked the fluid level. Took the cap off, and can't even see any fluid. I'm guessing this is an issue.

CivilEGR

Well now that I've topped it off the humming has gone away and the steering works fine. Now I can hear the other problems..... Apparently I have what I would describe as between a belt squeal and a clickity-clack noise that is definitely relative to the speed when I'm not on the throttle. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a bad wheel bearing, but I've been told that would be more of a growling sound.

cucvrus

Did you check the power steering mounting bracket? It has a main bracket that cracks and the adjustment nut can wear thru the slide on the bracket. Also check and make sure the lower pivot adjustment bracket is tight and in place. That is known to be loose and or missing. The cracked worn power steering pump bracket is also a common issue. Double check. that bracket is long discontinued and if cracked or broken it can be removed and welded. But it will need immediate attention to avoid further braking and cracking. Not sure if this is the issue but it may be and it is still worth checking out. Good Luck. Be Safe and report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks