• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 problems. I did some research here on SS about ball joints and kingpins. I know

aspann

all have king pins except the M1009. I took my 008 to a mechanic because the left front tire was leaning inside and the bottom was leaning out. He said I needed new ball joints. My friend looked at them and said they were ball joints instead of king pins. So I guess the owner before me changed out the front end. Would he have had to change out the rear end also? Do you suppose he put a m1009 front end on it? I know nothing about mechanical stuff. I looked at another M1008 in the area and the front hubs don't stick out as much as the hubs on mine. The truck runs and drives very good, except when I get on the brakes and it pulls to the left. Brakes or ball joints or both causing this? Any help would be appreciated. I know I'll get some answers on SS, a great site. I'm on here every day, usually several times a day. Thanks in advance.

aspann

Haven't learned to post pictures yet. I know about as much about posting pictures as I do about mechanical stuff.:-( I know it's suppose to have kingpins but doesn't. Doesn't have the four bolts on top. Thanks 91w350 for the link. I'll check it out.

91W350

The Dana that is supposed to be in there has large joints in the axles. If somebody converted it to the much smaller and weaker 10 bolt, you will be able to see what looks like a ball joint on top of the steering knuckle, instead of the bolt on caps you referred to. I have seen half ton pickups do an amazing amount of work with very little front axle damage. It is comforting to know the big bopper is in there though. A Dana 60 is a pretty impressive front axle. My concern would be that the front and rear have the same gear ratios, or very close to the same. Glen

aspann

Glen it looks like it has the ball joints. It appears to have the same gear ratios as it drives good and doesn't have sounds like the gears are grinding or anything. It does 55mph and sounds good. I haven't checked it out for top speed, not with the left front issue. Andy

91W350

The gear ratio difference would be quickly evident in 4x4, otherwise you would never know. Does it still have a full floating rear axle, the axle has a ring of bolts at the center of the wheel? Are the lug patterns six or eight bolts on the wheels? 55mph should be pretty much howling for a M1008. They will run well over 75, but really should be kept below 50 on the stock gearing, unless you do not mind a heart transplant.

aspann

It has the 8 bolts on the wheels. I just did 55mph testing it on the way home before I knew about the left front tire leaning.

dstang97

Sounds like some one made a 3/4 ton and robbed the axles. Easiest way is count the u bolts if you are unsure.

aspann

I checked and it has 4 u bolts and they look new. Everything else is dirty. I couldn't see any numbers on the chunk. It was too hot and had to come in.

aspann

Don't understand the 10 bolt. Is it a m1009 front end? Should I just get the ball joints replaced and would it not haul a heavy load? I don't plan to load it up anyway.

Cucvnut

it would really help if you could take some pictures. if you even can only email them to me so i can post them here and we can point you in the right direction. A ten bolt means it has 10 bolts on the differential cover plate in the front of the pumpkin.

aspann

Yep, poor 1008. I looked at the rear chunk and it looks like someone went into it. Maybe changed out the gears in it and not change out the whole rear end? So what should I do, just get the ball joints replaced? I can't complain too much, I didn't give but $1985 for it. Alot of the stuff under the hood was new, like hoses, belts, headlight etc. I'll try to take some pictures and send to Cucvfreek tomorrow and he can post them. Thanks folks. You have really been a lot of help. Don't have anyone else to ask. Andy

Last edited:

dstang97

You could just replace them but personally I would not even put 5 dollars into a set of non 1 tons. (thats just me) Im hard on everything.

If you look at the rear end does something stick out like 3" in the center of the rim? (has bolts)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks