• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Project Steel Soldiers Newbie

Crazy Life

I wanted to start off with introducing myself. My name is Tony and I've been a big fan of the site. Lots of great info!

I picked up the truck from Ocean City, Maryland. The truck had 26k miles on it with all the original rubber belts, hoses and tires. It has the usual cab corner and front wheel well rust but thats about it. Not bad for being 29 years old. I drove it 160 miles to get it home with no major issues other than the tire tread coming off.:driver:

The primary use for this truck is to get stuff done around the house. But the honest truth was to go off-road and camping. I just wanted to keep the wife happy.:whistle:
The game plan for the truck is to restore it and make it even more trail worthy. Progress will be slow because of having limited time with having a 11 month old son and another kid due in July! I'll keep everyone posted with all the new progress with this thread.

Last edited:

msg bruce

If you haven't done it yet. replace the starter relay with the dog relay shown here on this site. second the glow plug system relies on the reduced to 12 volt resistor behind the plate on the fire wall located behind the air cleaner. move the wire that comes out the right side of the plate to the 12 volt terminal block. doing just those 2 things will save you a major head ace and the cost is less than 25 bucks.

Crazy Life

If you haven't done it yet. replace the starter relay with the dog relay shown here on this site. second the glow plug system relies on the reduced to 12 volt resistor behind the plate on the fire wall located behind the air cleaner. move the wire that comes out the right side of the plate to the 12 volt terminal block. doing just those 2 things will save you a major head ace and the cost is less than 25 bucks.
Got both of those upgrades done. Thanks for the heads up though.[thumbzup]

Crazy Life

This is what I have currently got done on the truck. I bedlined the floor pan, new front brakes, brake lines, new D60 king pins, front seals, harmonic balancer and new 255/85R16 BFG Mud Terrains to keep the truck moving. I'll post more pictures when I can.

Last edited:

Crazy Life

Good looking truck.
Who painted it?
The paint looks better in the picture than it actually is. I would have to say they painted it a couple years before they retired it. Because the guy I got it off had it for a year and didn't touch it. He said it was too slow and hot to drive during the summer. I'm thinking he didn't do his research before he placed his bid.:shrugs:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks